Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Scouting Intangibles

Scouting Intangibles

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 11th, 2011, 11:17 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/09/12/sc ... tangibles/

If I wanted to see how fast you were, I would ask you to run with a stop watch in my hand over 60 yards. If I wanted to see how you pitched, I would stand a few feet behind the catcher with a camera and radar gun in hand. If I wanted to see how you were as a hitter, I would watch you in a batting cage and games with the camera rolling. If I wanted to see how you field, I would hit you fly balls and grounders until the sun went down. There is so much technology and statistical services that scouting tools is fairly straight forward with experience and a keen eye.

Seeing this is the case, why do international free agents and baseball draft picks fail at a higher rate than most professional sports? Why can I line up 50 pitchers, all who throw 93 mph, and only 1 out of those 50 turn into a long-term solution on a major league roster? Why is it only 1 or 2 players from each draft class end up as a useful major leaguer? What sets players a part? What makes one player a hall of fame player and the other AAAA?

Intangibles.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Scouting Intangibles

PostPost #2 by rjc3 » September 12th, 2011, 9:18 pm

Who in the system has the best intangibles.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Don » September 13th, 2011, 2:50 pm

It is not about who is best in those categories. You have a baseline of current tools that make up that player and based on your gut and your observations, you tend to grade out players higher down the road. The scouting intangibles are combined to give players a degree of improvement.

You base these figures and go along with a future projection on the body type, what they can be to figure out their ceiling as a ball player.

If you see tow guy and one has a bit stronger work ethic, etc... you would end up grading that guy higher and future OFP would be a big higher because you feel that his skills would improve based on his character allowing a proper growth curve.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » September 13th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Don wrote:It is not about who is best in those categories. You have a baseline of current tools that make up that player and based on your gut and your observations, you tend to grade out players higher down the road. The scouting intangibles are combined to give players a degree of improvement.

You base these figures and go along with a future projection on the body type, what they can be to figure out their ceiling as a ball player.

If you see tow guy and one has a bit stronger work ethic, etc... you would end up grading that guy higher and future OFP would be a big higher because you feel that his skills would improve based on his character allowing a proper growth curve.

Safe to say this is more true in baseball than other sports (where players are more immiediate impact)? Seems like even as drafts approach when looking over Top lists from different sources the variety is significant. Most will agree on who top 5 are, but order varies, and as you get down to 50 and 100 the variation can be significant. Don't want to call it a crap shoot because it diminishes what you and other do so well (evaluate talent), but the formula for success seems fleeting to say the least.

I think of the 2010 draft for the O's where they drafted Wiston Sawyer out of Ranch Scribbs HS in CA (I think that was the name of the school) and in later rounds drafted two pitchers from that same high school. Is it because they really felt they were the best players at that spot? Or was it more likely that they had seen them enough in scouting Sawyer that they were comfortable with them?

(Sorry I know that is a little off topic)
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 16th, 2011, 11:34 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think of the 2010 draft for the O's where they drafted Wiston Sawyer out of Ranch Scribbs HS in CA (I think that was the name of the school) and in later rounds drafted two pitchers from that same high school. Is it because they really felt they were the best players at that spot? Or was it more likely that they had seen them enough in scouting Sawyer that they were comfortable with them?

(Sorry I know that is a little off topic)

The other two pitchers from Scripps Ranch, Nathan Williams and Phillip Walby, were definitely legit prospects. Most likely the scout covering their region saw all three on multiple occasions. Don would be able provide more insight on this than I can.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 16th, 2011, 11:35 pm

rjc3 wrote:Who in the system has the best intangibles.

Like Don said there is not really a "best" when discussing intangibles.

I've said it a number of times but Schoop, Machado and Avery have some of the best work ethics in the system.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues