Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Nation 2011 Minor League Awards

Orioles Nation 2011 Minor League Awards

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 8th, 2011, 9:41 pm

We will be releasing the following awards on Tuesday:

- Offensive Player of the Year
- Pitcher of the Year
- Rookie of the Year (excluding 2011 draftees, includes 2010 draftees even if they played prior to this season)
- Breakout Player of the Year

Let's hear some predictions.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles Nation 2011 Minor League Awards

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » September 8th, 2011, 9:59 pm

Offensive Player of the Year - Although early on Machado seemed like a lock for this, I think the injury set him back a bit. Given the performance late in the season, I'll go with Schoop here.

Pitcher of the Year - I think this clearly belongs to Bobby Bundy.

Rookie of the Year - Little tougher here. Based on the 2010 draft class you could certainly say Machado, but the expectations were so high that I almost feel like passing. I'll take Clay Schrader here.

Breakout player of the year - Is it possible to give this to anyone other than Kyle Hudson. Frederick to the majors in 5 months? If he isn't eligible because of the call up, I'll take Kipp Schutz
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by rjc3 » September 8th, 2011, 10:25 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Offensive Player of the Year - Although early on Machado seemed like a lock for this, I think the injury set him back a bit. Given the performance late in the season, I'll go with Schoop here.

Pitcher of the Year - I think this clearly belongs to Bobby Bundy.

Rookie of the Year - Little tougher here. Based on the 2010 draft class you could certainly say Machado, but the expectations were so high that I almost feel like passing. I'll take Clay Schrader here.

Breakout player of the year - Is it possible to give this to anyone other than Kyle Hudson. Frederick to the majors in 5 months? If he isn't eligible because of the call up, I'll take Kipp Schutz

Scharder and Machado both got hurt so it is hard for me to take Schrader over Machado, when Machado played more. Schutz faded too much at the end of the season for me to consider him here. Hudson improved, but I don't think it would be enough for me to give him this title.

I will go Hoes for hitter, Bundy for pitcher, Machado for rookie (maybe Glynn Davis?), and Bridwell, Henry or Tolliver for breakout.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » September 8th, 2011, 11:35 pm

rjc3 wrote:Scharder and Machado both got hurt so it is hard for me to take Schrader over Machado, when Machado played more. Schutz faded too much at the end of the season for me to consider him here. Hudson improved, but I don't think it would be enough for me to give him this title.

I will go Hoes for hitter, Bundy for pitcher, Machado for rookie (maybe Glynn Davis?), and Bridwell, Henry or Tolliver for breakout.

Good point on Schrader. Can't support Bridwell or Henry for breakout. Bridwell simply was not that impressive except in spurts. Anyone who saw Henry before the injury last year was not surprised at all by his performance this season. Randy gets my comeback player award after looking healthy the entire season on the mound. Tolliver would certainly be a good choice for breakout after 2 seasons in Aberdeen with mixed results.

You are correct on Schutz. My perspective was really based on his time on Delmarva where he came into the season as an unknown with all the focus on Machado, Schoop, Givens, and Mummey. His 38 game stint in the SAL was simply dominant, hitting .381 and driving in nearly a run a game.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Eric » September 9th, 2011, 2:23 pm

- Offensive Player of the Year- I really like Schoop here, and I can only imagine what Mummey would have done if he were healthy all season.

- Pitcher of the Year- Bundy for the season, but Baker and Petite really put on a show the last 6 weeks.

- Rookie of the Year- John Ruettiger may not qualify, but he get's my vote. And although I didn't actually see him play, Jaime Esquivel put up some sick numbers.

- Breakout Player of the Year- Jacob Petite. Solid at Delmarva all year, sally allstar and just lights out when he was moved up to Frederick.
Eric
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 11th, 2011, 11:26 pm

Eric wrote:- Offensive Player of the Year- I really like Schoop here, and I can only imagine what Mummey would have done if he were healthy all season.

- Pitcher of the Year- Bundy for the season, but Baker and Petite really put on a show the last 6 weeks.

- Rookie of the Year- John Ruettiger may not qualify, but he get's my vote. And although I didn't actually see him play, Jaime Esquivel put up some sick numbers.

- Breakout Player of the Year- Jacob Petite. Solid at Delmarva all year, sally allstar and just lights out when he was moved up to Frederick.

Mummey has been a huge surprise and I know Don was pulling hard for Mummey to take home that award, even with the missed playing time.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 11th, 2011, 11:27 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Good point on Schrader. Can't support Bridwell or Henry for breakout. Bridwell simply was not that impressive except in spurts. Anyone who saw Henry before the injury last year was not surprised at all by his performance this season. Randy gets my comeback player award after looking healthy the entire season on the mound. Tolliver would certainly be a good choice for breakout after 2 seasons in Aberdeen with mixed results.

Reminded me to also include a comeback player of the year award. That will be up Tuesday as well.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by rjc3 » September 12th, 2011, 9:19 pm

Eric wrote:- Offensive Player of the Year- I really like Schoop here, and I can only imagine what Mummey would have done if he were healthy all season.

It is between Machado, Esquivel and Davis for me for rookie. But I have to hand it to manny because he was full season.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Shorebirdfan » September 12th, 2011, 11:35 pm

Cannot argue with Machado as Rookie of the Year. Given the hype (ARod comparisons) and pressure associated with a large contract not only did he perform on the field, but he certainly carried himself better than the offensive player selected before him. I do think the injury set him back significantly in his 2011 performance, but he overcame that late and continues to perform well in the post season
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Shorebirdfan » September 13th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Since this thread is about post season awards I thought I would put this here. Ran through the home pages for the leagues associated with each full season affiliate today looking at their post season All Star Teams. To no suprise, I found not one Oriole player listed for the IL, EL, CAR or SAL. So does this mean the O's farm system is SO weak that no one deserves this honor? (I don't think so). What I think it speaks more to is the fact that the O's continue to rush their most talented players from level to level without real regard for their readiness. Players simply don't get selected for these AS team unless the spend the majority of the season at that level. Anyone watch an O's game lately? Hudson look major league ready to you? How about Pedro? Put 'em back in the oven folks, they are not quite ready yet.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 16th, 2011, 11:36 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Since this thread is about post season awards I thought I would put this here. Ran through the home pages for the leagues associated with each full season affiliate today looking at their post season All Star Teams. To no suprise, I found not one Oriole player listed for the IL, EL, CAR or SAL. So does this mean the O's farm system is SO weak that no one deserves this honor? (I don't think so). What I think it speaks more to is the fact that the O's continue to rush their most talented players from level to level without real regard for their readiness. Players simply don't get selected for these AS team unless the spend the majority of the season at that level. Anyone watch an O's game lately? Hudson look major league ready to you? How about Pedro? Put 'em back in the oven folks, they are not quite ready yet.

And I just went through Baseball America's league all star teams, and again, no Orioles! Definitely has to do with them challenging and pushing prospects faster than the rest of baseball.

Still, you could argue that Bundy deserved to be a CAR all-star.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues