Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

5 Things the O's Need to do to Improve Player Development

5 Things the O's Need to do to Improve Player Development

PostPost #1 by Shorebirdfan » August 29th, 2011, 7:59 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/08/29/5- ... velopment/

I am really glad to see Don put this up as I think many folks who follow the O's fail to realize how important this message is.

1. Acquire as much talent as possible - Recently said to a fellow O's fan that I would let anyone who we would be compensated with a pick for that we would not even being discussing signing them in the off season. The O's need to focus on stockpiling as many additional picks as possible (if any). Stop spending money on the bullpen while letting potential relievers (Beato) go for nothing. Use that money to sign talented picks and international players. This was a great leadoff point.

2. Better training and diet - I read an article published in the Boston Globe recently that talked about the challenges of eating healthy in the minors. Even for someone who spends a lot of time around the minors, it was eye opening.

3. Conditioning for pitchers - I know nothing about this, but have seen Don write about it enough that I believe it must be true.

4. Conditioning for position players - It seems to me that O's minor league strength and conditioning coaches often win the award as the best in their respective minor leagues. I've never understood how when we always seem to have more injuries than other teams.

5. Increase the number of instructors - Not sure if this is the answer or if we only need to improve the current quality. I don't attend enough games outside of Delmarva to speak to, but here, it is clear that their is a lack of quality leadership.

I've said before that I clearly assign blame for some of the injuries to pitchers the last couple seasons on the leadership. They simply do not understand how to manage a pitching staff. I think this fits several of the factors listed above add up to these injuries (diet, conditioning, instruction). But in the end to me it all boils down to leadership.

Great article Don. Enjoy reading a guy who knows his stuff.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Re: 5 Things the O's Need to do to Improve Player Developmen

PostPost #2 by Don » August 29th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Thanks, I will plan to go in depth as my duties have changed as fall approaches.

Out of all of the points, I feel position players do train hard in the organization. I still feel nutrition is the biggest factor for everyone in the organization. It is tough because to actually eat healthy in this country costs a great deal more money. MiLB players simply do not have the pocket money to eat out with solid meals every occasion. It is tough to swallow, but clubhouses could choose options to at least bring a healthy atmosphere.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 29th, 2011, 10:32 pm

I feel that #5 is the most important. Seems to me that there is more simple organization rather than actual instruction.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » August 29th, 2011, 10:40 pm

Here is the article I mentioned from the Boston Globe.

http://www.projo.com/pawsox/content/pro ... 0bc6f.html

I was recently standing outside the stadium in the later part of a game on get away day only to be met by the Domino's delivery driver wanting to know the way to the clubhouse. Definitely not the way to go.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Return to Minor Leagues