Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jordan and Don's Post Draft Best Tools

Jordan and Don's Post Draft Best Tools

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 14th, 2011, 11:01 pm

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Jordan and Don's Post Draft Best Tools

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » August 21st, 2011, 12:21 am

Been watching Webb all season and I just don't see it. With Conley released earlier in the season, can't say I have a strong candidate myself. But I've seen very little in Webb that impresses me.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 21st, 2011, 4:36 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Been watching Webb all season and I just don't see it. With Conley released earlier in the season, can't say I have a strong candidate myself. But I've seen very little in Webb that impresses me.

I believe he leads the Sally League in outfield assists. I've seen him three times, and he displayed an absolute rocket. But you've seen him more recently than me.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by rjc3 » August 23rd, 2011, 1:26 pm

So if Davis is a faster runner than Avery, he must be about as fast as they come.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 23rd, 2011, 2:09 pm

rjc3 wrote:So if Davis is a faster runner than Avery, he must be about as fast as they come.

Davis is so fast they time him with a Warp factor. He also seems to have an idea how to use that speed. I accept that the New York Penn League pitchers do not have the best skills at holding runners nor do their catchers have the best times to 2B but having a 23 to 5 record of SBs at the age of 19 in that league is no joke. Combine that with a decent ratio of 20/40 BB to Ks and you have a potential effective lead off hitter. He are his stats http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=t488&t=p_pbp&pid=607974

He's listed at 6-3 and 170. He'll need to put on about 15 lbs of muscle to increase the number of doubles he's hitting. If he can increase his ratio of extra base hits to one per every ten ABs or so he will prevent better quality pitching from just pounding the strike zone. With his advanced batting eye he can force pitchers to show him a lot of pitches as he leads off a game which helps the batters following him just as Brian Roberts has done.

If this kid is dominant at Frederick at any point next year he'll have to be considered a top 100 prospect.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » August 23rd, 2011, 10:28 pm

Got to see Aberdeen Monday night for the first time this season and his speed was one of the things that stood out to me. Nothing as far as stolen bases or pitchers holding him on. It was more about simply ground outs to SS that he made MUCH closer than they should have been.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #7 by Don » August 24th, 2011, 8:17 am

Davis is a good young player, but he has a very long way to go to be considered a top 100 prospect. He is at least 3 years away and still in short season ball. It beats playing poorly, but he is facing competition that is a slight notch above the level he played in JC.

He has a long way to develop and must improve his plate coverage and transition the power tool into skill. He is on the cusp of a top 20 Orioles prospect and has some nice things going for him. If he improves, he could be in line as the center fielder in 2014.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by ofahn » August 24th, 2011, 10:41 am

If this kid is dominant at Frederick at any point next year he'll have to be considered a top 100 prospect.

IMO being dominant at high A at the age of 20 would earn elite prospect status.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by Don » August 24th, 2011, 12:36 pm

Here comes the big, hairy BUT

Let him showcase himself next season, baby steps...
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues