Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Is L.J. Hoes the Orioles' Second Baseman of the Future?

Re: Is L.J. Hoes the Orioles' Second Baseman of the Future?

PostPost #16 by ofahn » August 11th, 2011, 7:36 pm

But is Stockstill really the problem? I would think it has more to do with the developmental staff in the minors, or how the generally teach players.

He runs the minor league development program. If there's a problem with it he has either created it or allowed it. IMO he should be replaced with someone that will improve conditioning and instruction.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by Rising O's » August 15th, 2011, 7:03 am

I had no idea what the Oriole's plans were for Hoes until I read the quotes from Stockstill I had assumed he was moved to the OF for good. So I don't get wasting a half to full year of the best player's development time for others whose upside is much less. I like Miclat, he does have some value but at some point you have to make a decision on the organization's best long term options. Adams has some ability with the bat, but if he can't field, he can't field. Not that Miclat is better but it is his first year at the position so he gets a pass. I think Stockstill failed us here, and badly. Of course Andy MacPhail did too by bringing back Cesar.

So what are the Orioles plans for next year? I know its all speculation on our parts. Hoes has to start at 2nd in AA and will likely remain there for the year right?. Does Miclat supplant Adams at 2nd? Does Adams make the ML roster? If the thinking is he will part of the ML team, then even on the bench the experience and tutoring as a part time player might have been better for him. I know the Orioles want players to be ready (or maybe that was just Dave Trembley) but a team that is going to lose close to 100 games obviously is lacking players that are ready (because they don't care every day) anyway.

They have similar logjam problems at 1st base too between AA/AAA.

***the proceeding is just generalized frustration with the Orioles at all levels*** :evil:
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #18 by Shorebirdfan » August 15th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Too many three tool players up and down the organization. Adams..decent avg, good power (for 2B), no field, not good on the bases. Miclat...decent avg, decent defense, exceptional on the bases, avg D. Hoes, showing pop but is it just a run or trend, ok BA, below avg D, average of the bases. At 1B, Snyder who is like Mark Grace less 40 points on the BA. Avg D, little to no power (for 1B). Mahoney, great on the bases, avg D, below avg pop, and it goes on and on. No different in the OF. From Angle and Avery to Mummey and Webb. Outside of Schoop and Machado there is no one I look at in the field and say "Wow they can really do everything." Oh well you hit it on the nose. General frustration.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #19 by rjc3 » August 15th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Rising O's wrote:I had no idea what the Oriole's plans were for Hoes until I read the quotes from Stockstill I had assumed he was moved to the OF for good. So I don't get wasting a half to full year of the best player's development time for others whose upside is much less. I like Miclat, he does have some value but at some point you have to make a decision on the organization's best long term options. Adams has some ability with the bat, but if he can't field, he can't field. Not that Miclat is better but it is his first year at the position so he gets a pass. I think Stockstill failed us here, and badly. Of course Andy MacPhail did too by bringing back Cesar.

So what are the Orioles plans for next year? I know its all speculation on our parts. Hoes has to start at 2nd in AA and will likely remain there for the year right?. Does Miclat supplant Adams at 2nd? Does Adams make the ML roster? If the thinking is he will part of the ML team, then even on the bench the experience and tutoring as a part time player might have been better for him. I know the Orioles want players to be ready (or maybe that was just Dave Trembley) but a team that is going to lose close to 100 games obviously is lacking players that are ready (because they don't care every day) anyway.

They have similar logjam problems at 1st base too between AA/AAA.

***the proceeding is just generalized frustration with the Orioles at all levels*** :evil:

Shorebirdfan wrote:Too many three tool players up and down the organization. Adams..decent avg, good power (for 2B), no field, not good on the bases. Miclat...decent avg, decent defense, exceptional on the bases, avg D. Hoes, showing pop but is it just a run or trend, ok BA, below avg D, average of the bases. At 1B, Snyder who is like Mark Grace less 40 points on the BA. Avg D, little to no power (for 1B). Mahoney, great on the bases, avg D, below avg pop, and it goes on and on. No different in the OF. From Angle and Avery to Mummey and Webb. Outside of Schoop and Machado there is no one I look at in the field and say "Wow they can really do everything." Oh well you hit it on the nose. General frustration.

Nothing better than players that can get it done on both offense and defense. On defense alone, the Red Sox are 8 wins (~80 runs) better than the Orioles.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #20 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 21st, 2011, 6:58 pm

I read one of Roch Kubato's spots in Baseball America's magazine where he mentioned that one of the reasons Brandon Waring would have a tough time being promoted to Norfolk was because Snyder and Bell were blocking him. How can you let "prospects" with utility player upside AT BEST(Snyder,Miclat,Bell) hinder the development of a legitimate prospect(although Waring isn't much of a prospect himself)? The fact that they are allowing this to happen with Hoes and his defensive development is extremely frustrating. The timing for Macphail's contract being up is perfect, the O's are accumulating some serious talent with Machado, Bundy, Schoop, and likely the no. 2 overall pick in next years draft, a legitimate front office could help to elevate the franchise in a hurry with improved player development and competent baseball decisions. Unfortunately Angelos has said he thinks Macphail will be back. If only Macphail were to leave...
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #21 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 21st, 2011, 9:27 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I read one of Roch Kubato's spots in Baseball America's magazine where he mentioned that one of the reasons Brandon Waring would have a tough time being promoted to Norfolk was because Snyder and Bell were blocking him. How can you let "prospects" with utility player upside AT BEST(Snyder,Miclat,Bell) hinder the development of a legitimate prospect(although Waring isn't much of a prospect himself)? The fact that they are allowing this to happen with Hoes and his defensive development is extremely frustrating. The timing for Macphail's contract being up is perfect, the O's are accumulating some serious talent with Machado, Bundy, Schoop, and likely the no. 2 overall pick in next years draft, a legitimate front office could help to elevate the franchise in a hurry with improved player development and competent baseball decisions. Unfortunately Angelos has said he thinks Macphail will be back. If only Macphail were to leave...

Definitely one of the most frustrating things, and it's also why Hoes needs to go to the AFL if that will give him a chance to log some innings at 2B.

Also, I think it's clear that Bell is an org. guy, Waring isn't much of a prospect, and Snyder is on the bride of becoming an AAAA guy.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Previous

Return to Minor Leagues