Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Nick Haughian

Nick Haughian

PostPost #1 by Shorebirdfan » July 24th, 2011, 10:15 am

I know that Bobby Bundy has been the pitching star at Frederick this season, but Nick has quietly put put some outstanding numbers since being moved into the starting rotation. In 14 starts, he is 7-3 with a 2.67 ERA, 69 hits in 81 IP with just 18 walks and 62 K's.

Anyone have thoughts on his potential? When he was here on the shore, he was a do it all coming in from the bullpen in both short and long relief, spot starting and he even served as the back up catcher in emergency situations. He was very popular with the fans based on his seeming desire to do anything to make a difference.

Organization guy or potential breakout sleeper prospect?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Re: Nick Haughian

PostPost #2 by Don » July 24th, 2011, 12:26 pm

He falls under the radar because of his height and what I would say he maxed out the ability to improve offerings. But he has one of the greatest things going for him, a left hander that can throw strikes on the black.

You will hardly ever see him top 90 on the radar gun, but he plays the old school lefty to the "T". He mixes pitches well and throws a solid straight change (albeit he calls it a slow fastball). I see him sitting well in the 88-90 range and his slot keep the ball constantly moving. His "straight change" runs in the 72-76 range, but he is constantly all over the place with offerings.

But this also his curse. He will have to keep hitters extremely off balanced and work his magic on the black. His stuff has good movement that makes it difficult to square up on contact, but may not play well with more patient batters as he moves up level.

Worth the radar and someone you pull for success, but he does not have the class as some of the other arms in the organization.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues