Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matt Hobgood's velocity is back

Re: Matt Hobgood's velocity is back

PostPost #16 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 14th, 2011, 9:01 pm

dan72 wrote:I go to 25 mlb games per season and probably 15 minor league games per season, not to mention the 100 or so games I watch each year. Having said that, I would bet my pay check that he will never see the big leagues. I'm a very frustrated fan that continues to support my team even at it's lowest point. I've seen to many draft picks wasted on guys like this. For O's fans everywhere I hope I'm wrong on Hobgood. I hope he makes it.

I would not worry too much about this season. Yes, he's not pitching well but he's not at full strength. If he struggles next year, then I'll worry.

I understand he's not performing like a first round picks, but give prospects some time.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #17 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 21st, 2011, 7:02 pm

Don wrote:I do not mean to question your baseball knowledge, but you realize that Hobgood is one year removed from a long extensive layoff to correct shoulder problems. You realize that his goal this season was to maintain a healthy arm and body and completely ignore the numbers. He will have his ups and downs like any pitcher tends to do over a season. He hits 93 and stays 90-91 on a night and the next outing he may sit 89-90. This is completely normal for someone in his position.

He has lost the weight and taken to conditioning this season and give him the benefit of the doubt before saying he should be working a a diary creme, crab shack, or anything else. You realize all players work on different time tables and he would be a sophmore in college. He can still be that workhorse pitcher and you should at least give him that credit.

I am not harking, but clearly this town listens way to much to the soap box people that have no clue about the game and their hatred seed as stemed into the fanbase.

If he threw a no hitter it would still not change my view on him and the same for the bad effort last night, he has a long way to go. He must maintain his health, take a notch up in the conditioning this off-season, and comeback firing next season. This season was not about numbers, it was about working the arm and maintain health through it all.

Well said. It seems that alot of people forget that some HS players take time to develop. He'll be 21 next year and even if he is sent back to Delmarva he would be ahead of a potentiol college draftee who would still be in school.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #18 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 21st, 2011, 9:27 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Well said. It seems that alot of people forget that some HS players take time to develop. He'll be 21 next year and even if he is sent back to Delmarva he would be ahead of a potentiol college draftee who would still be in school.

All it takes is one look at Roy Halladay's minor league numbers.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by dan72 » August 22nd, 2011, 9:32 am

So what will next years list of excuses be? The Orioles don't need kids that are 5 year projects. We continue to draft high scool kids. Lets draft college players that have more polish.
Next year will be his 3rd year, we need to see progress. As a fan that is what I'm most frustrated with, the lack of progress throughout the organization.
What I paid to see at Aberdeen was batting practice. pure and simple. The goal should be to win at all levels.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #20 by j.q. higgins » August 22nd, 2011, 1:12 pm

i don't know that the goal should be to win at all levels, but the goal should be to develop at the lower levels to win in the majors. melewski had an interesting bit the other day about the tension b/w developing and winning in the minors.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #21 by Don » August 22nd, 2011, 2:27 pm

Winning takes a complete back seat to teaching/instructing in the minor league level. You place the guys into roles, lineups, etc... with the end goal being an eye at the major league level. If that means you pull a pitcher no matter how he is doing, leave a guy in with the game on the line to test him out in situations, force guys to swing away in clear bunting situations, etc....

You do what is best for the individual first, and the collective is second. If winning comes along with it, great to see.

It should never be the first, second, or third option when doing the daily grind in MiLB.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #22 by DougDE » August 22nd, 2011, 3:34 pm

dan72 wrote:So what will next years list of excuses be? The Orioles don't need kids that are 5 year projects. We continue to draft high scool kids. Lets draft college players that have more polish.
Next year will be his 3rd year, we need to see progress. As a fan that is what I'm most frustrated with, the lack of progress throughout the organization.
What I paid to see at Aberdeen was batting practice. pure and simple. The goal should be to win at all levels.

I dont believe you draft someone you have rated as an inferior talent just because he has more polish. You dont know how any player will work out. You draft the best player and develop them. Matusz was supposed to be polished and he has become a project and Strasburg was supposed to be MLB ready and he gets hurt right away. You draft the most talented player in my opinion. ...I'm just using Matusz and Strasburg as examples of you cant predict the future, not that they shouldnt have been drafted where they were
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #23 by Shorebirdfan » August 22nd, 2011, 10:25 pm

Read somewhere recently that a "good" draft would be one that yields 2 major league players. Seems like a lot of swing and miss picks for ANY organiztion. Although he didn't pitch tonight, got to see Hobgood up close for the first time since last season, and he certainly looks to be in much better physical condition. I remember when Mahoney lost all his weight after his first season on Delmarva, looked great, played much better overall, but the pop was gone from his bat. Took an addiitonal season putting muscle back on top of the skinner frame to become the organizations offensive player of the year last season. Not saying that is exactly where Matt is at, change in body makeup is not nearly as dramatic as Joe's was, however I would think any major change in physical makeup would require some additional time to get used to just like overcoming a major injury would.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #24 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 22nd, 2011, 11:56 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Read somewhere recently that a "good" draft would be one that yields 2 major league players. Seems like a lot of swing and miss picks for ANY organiztion. Although he didn't pitch tonight, got to see Hobgood up close for the first time since last season, and he certainly looks to be in much better physical condition. I remember when Mahoney lost all his weight after his first season on Delmarva, looked great, played much better overall, but the pop was gone from his bat. Took an addiitonal season putting muscle back on top of the skinner frame to become the organizations offensive player of the year last season. Not saying that is exactly where Matt is at, change in body makeup is not nearly as dramatic as Joe's was, however I would think any major change in physical makeup would require some additional time to get used to just like overcoming a major injury would.

Some great points there. That's why I am simply not paying attention to any of Hobgood's stats this year. You always have to find the proper mix of scouting and stats and this is a case where, after seeing Hobgood live in the GCL this year, that I know he has improved physically, even if the results aren't there.

Next season will be the real indicator.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Minor Leagues