Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matt Hobgood's velocity is back

Matt Hobgood's velocity is back

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 18th, 2011, 1:42 pm

http://twitter.com/#!/BrettHollander/st ... 2870057984
John Stockstill told me almost all of Matt Hobgood velocity has returned - about 90-93 mph right now with Aberdeen. #Orioles

via Brett Hollander of 1090AM WBAL
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Matt Hobgood's velocity is back

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » July 19th, 2011, 9:50 am

Great news. Love the GB% so far.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by rjc3 » July 20th, 2011, 11:48 am

Rising O's wrote:Great news. Love the GB% so far.

Even though he's getting hit hard it's definitely nice to see the GB rate. If he makes it to the majors, that will play well at OPACY.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 20th, 2011, 4:18 pm

rjc3 wrote:
Rising O's wrote:Great news. Love the GB% so far.

Even though he's getting hit hard it's definitely nice to see the GB rate. If he makes it to the majors, that will play well at OPACY.

I think we will see a really strong season from Hobgood in 2012 assuming he stays healthy.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » July 21st, 2011, 5:36 pm

Is he getting hit hard or is it simply the level of players who are unable to field or get to ground balls effectively?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 21st, 2011, 11:32 pm

Rising O's wrote:Is he getting hit hard or is it simply the level of players who are unable to field or get to ground balls effectively?

When I saw him in the GCL it was most of the hits were ground balls through the middle of the infield.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by rjc3 » July 23rd, 2011, 1:11 pm

Jordan wrote:
Rising O's wrote:Is he getting hit hard or is it simply the level of players who are unable to field or get to ground balls effectively?

When I saw him in the GCL it was most of the hits were ground balls through the middle of the infield.

Frederick next year?
rjc3
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 24th, 2011, 11:15 pm

rjc3 wrote:
Jordan wrote:

Frederick next year?

Most likely.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Rising O's » July 26th, 2011, 1:55 pm

If he keeps that % up, regains the velocity and tightens everything up he will certainly be back on track. I'm rooting for him since he's obviously working hard to make it.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » July 31st, 2011, 2:36 pm

I hope he has a good bounce back game, cause he has awful last time out.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 31st, 2011, 8:11 pm

Rising O's wrote:I hope he has a good bounce back game, cause he has awful last time out.

He's set to start tomorrow.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by rjc3 » July 31st, 2011, 9:04 pm

Are there any recent velocity reports coming from Aberdeen? I know he was 88-92 mph at one point, wondering if there are any updates.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by dan72 » August 1st, 2011, 10:44 pm

recent report. 88 mph and stright as an arrow. The Scrappers hit him like batting practice. 3 innings 9 yes I said 9 runs all earned. Very painful to watch. Our 2009 #1 pick can not get outs at the very lowest level of pro baseball.
Maybe the Ironbirds should offer this clown a job at the crab shack. You will never see him in the big leagues, NEVER.
Another strellar draft pick. His record at aberdeen 0-3 with an era somewhere around 30.
Sad
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #14 by Don » August 2nd, 2011, 9:37 am

I do not mean to question your baseball knowledge, but you realize that Hobgood is one year removed from a long extensive layoff to correct shoulder problems. You realize that his goal this season was to maintain a healthy arm and body and completely ignore the numbers. He will have his ups and downs like any pitcher tends to do over a season. He hits 93 and stays 90-91 on a night and the next outing he may sit 89-90. This is completely normal for someone in his position.

He has lost the weight and taken to conditioning this season and give him the benefit of the doubt before saying he should be working a a diary creme, crab shack, or anything else. You realize all players work on different time tables and he would be a sophmore in college. He can still be that workhorse pitcher and you should at least give him that credit.

I am not harking, but clearly this town listens way to much to the soap box people that have no clue about the game and their hatred seed as stemed into the fanbase.

If he threw a no hitter it would still not change my view on him and the same for the bad effort last night, he has a long way to go. He must maintain his health, take a notch up in the conditioning this off-season, and comeback firing next season. This season was not about numbers, it was about working the arm and maintain health through it all.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #15 by dan72 » August 13th, 2011, 11:41 am

I go to 25 mlb games per season and probably 15 minor league games per season, not to mention the 100 or so games I watch each year. Having said that, I would bet my pay check that he will never see the big leagues. I'm a very frustrated fan that continues to support my team even at it's lowest point. I've seen to many draft picks wasted on guys like this. For O's fans everywhere I hope I'm wrong on Hobgood. I hope he makes it.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Next

Return to Minor Leagues