Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Almost Prospects, Part 2: Five more to keep an eye on

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 18th, 2011, 11:16 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/05/19/al ... ospects-2/

Overall, Dan has listed 10 players who are on the verge of becoming legit prospects:

- Kipp Schutz
- Scott Copeland
- Jacob Pettit
- Justin Moore
- Jose Diaz
- Tyler Kelly
- Jason Gurka
- Cole McCurry
- Hector Veloz
- Tyler Kolodny
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Almost Prospects, Part 2: Five more to keep an eye on

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » May 22nd, 2011, 7:30 am

I think it is time to add Clay Schraeder to this list. In his last 6 outings, he has been simply un-hittable. Over those 6 outings, covering 13IP Clay has given up 3 hits, while walking 3 and recording 27K. No, not a typo, 27K in 13IP.

Fastball is solid sitting in the low 90's with some late movement, but the breaking stuff has been just falling off the table. Late and hard break.

Too bad these 6 outings go back over a month. Like to see him worked a little more often.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 22nd, 2011, 11:27 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think it is time to add Clay Schraeder to this list. In his last 6 outings, he has been simply un-hittable. Over those 6 outings, covering 13IP Clay has given up 3 hits, while walking 3 and recording 27K. No, not a typo, 27K in 13IP.

Fastball is solid sitting in the low 90's with some late movement, but the breaking stuff has been just falling off the table. Late and hard break.

Too bad these 6 outings go back over a month. Like to see him worked a little more often.

I'd have Schrader at Frederick ASAP.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Baseball Fan » July 31st, 2011, 4:44 am

I like the "Almost Prospects" list, great picks & great analysis.
A quick glance (through July 30) shows some nice #'s for most of the guys. Of the position guys, it seems Kelly (a mid season All Star) has been the most productive, and as you pointed out, quit the Super-utility guy. I think he's played like 7 positions. Is anyone else that versatile? He kinda reminds me of some other multi position guys in our organization - Blake Davis & Buck Britton. He also reminds me of an ex-big leaguer, Bill Mueller (also a switch hitter with similar size) who was a 3b/2b, hit .291, with nearly equal BB's to K's, and averaged less than 8 hr's/yr in 11 years in the big leagues. Their numbers are very similar.
I'm surprised Kelly hasn't gotten an opportunity in Frederick. Any thoughts?

Schutz in the SAL had amazing #'s. Is the Carolina League that much better? What are your thought their?
Baseball Fan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 31st, 2011, 1:50 pm

I have been waiting for a Kelly promotion for quite some time. It's clear he's figured out the Sally League and needs to be tested at higher levels. He can play multiple positions, but he's just average all around.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues