Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Interview with Baseball America's Jim Callis

Interview with Baseball America's Jim Callis

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 4th, 2011, 10:32 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/05/05/in ... im-callis/

Jim Callis is the Executive Editor over at Baseball America and is known as one of the most knowledgeable analysts when it comes to baseball prospects. Jim was kind enough to answers a bunch of questions regarding the Orioles and their prospects.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Interview with Baseball America's Jim Callis

PostPost #2 by DougDE » May 5th, 2011, 4:26 am

Being a stickler as usual but he said Wieters was the only homegrown hitter in starting lineup when as we all know, there's Roberts and Markakis too. But really I love reading/hearing what Jim has to say. Really respect his opinion
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Interview with Baseball America's Jim Callis

PostPost #3 by Don » May 5th, 2011, 10:18 am

Something I feel that national folks do not take into account is the hunger and drive of individual prospects. Bobby Bundy has always had the drive to be the best at his position. Once he finally got everything under control, you see the fruit of his labor. Two years ago people were writing him off and saying he would never materlize into a starting pitching prospect.

I feel the same for Avery. He wants it in a bad way. This young kid has the pulse and drive to succeed beyond others expectations. He was never truly focused on baseball and for good reason, as he was once one of the best running back that would have been a solid starter for Georgia. With baseball on the full horizon, he is playing against competition that is way ahead of his curve. He has always been pushed beyond his age group and beyond the time frame that most of his peers have spent playing baseball. I suspect that his growth curve can be extended a few more years before the age/level should be the indicator of prospect status or ceiling.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues