Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#10 Prospect - Bobby Bundy

#10 Prospect - Bobby Bundy

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 5th, 2011, 9:50 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=9631

Entering the 2008 MLB Draft, Bobby Bundy was though of as first round talent. However, he suffered a knee injury during his senior year of high school and, as a result, saw diminished velocity which pushed him down draft boards. After he slipped to the 8th round, the Orioles scooped him up and still gave him a $600,000 bonus, which is equivalent to second round money.

Full top 50 list
10. Bobby Bundy
11. Matt Hobgood
12. Tyler Townsend
13. Ryan Adams
14. Clayton Schrader
15. Joe Mahoney
16. Brandon Snyder
17. Jesse Beal
18. Wynn Pelzer
19. Caleb Joseph
20. Trent Mummey
21. Brandon Erbe
22. Connor Narron
23. Brandon Cooney
24. Oliver Drake
25. Matt Angle
26. Cameron Coffey
27. Randy Henry
28. Aaron Wirsch
29. Matt Bywater
30. Luis Lebron
31. Luis Noel
32. Tim Berry
33. Jaime Esquivel
34. Michael Ohlman
35. Rick Zagone
36. Ashur Tolliver
37. Wynston Sawyer
38. Brenden Webb
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #10 Prospect - Bobby Bundy

PostPost #2 by Don » April 6th, 2011, 11:23 am

I guess I am higher on him that others, but I have been high on him since he was dropping like a fly during the draft process. He is finally getting his body under control and you will start to see why he was ranked in the top 10 before the health issues in high school. This is a kid with enough plus pitches (or potential plus pitches) to become a solid mid-rotation starter. He has alot of traits similar to a younger John Lackey, but with better sink in his overall arsenal.

He could become a lights out setup man or closer, but with his build, his mental makeup, he can be a workhorse in the rotation. There are not many teams in baseball that could have a 200+ innings eater at the 3/4/5 slots in a rotation. Another solid season in high A and maybe AA, he could get a push to the 40 man roster and maybe a spring training invite. If that happens, anything is possible these days.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Don » April 30th, 2011, 10:50 am

I am not patting myself across the back, but I thought years ago that this was the best pick in the 2008 draft for the Orioles. While Matusz was an excellent selection and mainstay top of the rotation, Bundy I thought had that ability prior to the leg injury. At one point in time, I thought he was the top high school right hander.

His showing this season should be giving the fans the "I can't wait to see him in Baltimore" chills. He can easily be a future fixture in the Orioles rotation. This is something fans should strongly be rooting for in the future. He has overcome a lot and the naysayers are seeing the very things I thought he would turn into as a professional. It took a few seasons, but heis turing himself into a top shelf prospect.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 30th, 2011, 11:10 pm

Don wrote:His showing this season should be giving the fans the "I can't wait to see him in Baltimore" chills. He can easily be a future fixture in the Orioles rotation. This is something fans should strongly be rooting for in the future. He has overcome a lot and the naysayers are seeing the very things I thought he would turn into as a professional. It took a few seasons, but heis turing himself into a top shelf prospect.

100% agree here. His changeup is MUCH improved this season and has allowed him to step-up is performance big time.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » May 1st, 2011, 10:09 am

And to thin a year from now he could be on a fast track to the bigs, and still not be the best O's prospect in his own family.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by 2131andBeyond » May 1st, 2011, 1:48 pm

Bundy has been quite good over at Frederick so far this year. His last outing (4/29) he went six innings, and allowed only one run on seven strikeouts and no walks. His GO/FO in the game was 2.67 as well.

Bundy now has a 2.37 ERA on the year in 19 IP, which includes a GO/FO ratio still over 2 (2.09). His 22:1 K:BB ratio is also spectacular to see.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Minor Leagues