Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#15 Prospect - Joe Mahoney

#15 Prospect - Joe Mahoney

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 30th, 2011, 11:27 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=9533

Joe Mahoney entered 2010 as nothing more than a fringe first base prospect, but ended the year as one of the most talked about names in the Orioles' organization. He's always been known for having the highest vertical jump in the system despite standing a towering 6' 6". But 2010 was the year where he turned his potential and athletic ability into consistent performance.

Full top 50 list
15. Joe Mahoney
16. Brandon Snyder
17. Jesse Beal
18. Wynn Pelzer
19. Caleb Joseph
20. Trent Mummey
21. Brandon Erbe
22. Connor Narron
23. Brandon Cooney
24. Oliver Drake
25. Matt Angle
26. Cameron Coffey
27. Randy Henry
28. Aaron Wirsch
29. Matt Bywater
30. Luis Lebron
31. Luis Noel
32. Tim Berry
33. Jaime Esquivel
34. Michael Ohlman
35. Rick Zagone
36. Ashur Tolliver
37. Wynston Sawyer
38. Brenden Webb
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #15 Prospect - Joe Mahoney

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » March 31st, 2011, 1:29 am

Looking back over the last three seasons for Mahoney, it is tough to share how far I've seen Joe come. If anyone out there had seen him in 2008, yoy would have thought 2 or 4 seasons, might reach AA if he gets lucky and then done. At the time he weighed about 260, was slow, and swung at everything. The bat showed some pop and the defense was good, so it wasn't a total loss. A late season injury put him in the dugout for about the final month. I saw the first glimmer at that time, as he always stood next to the coaches and asked questions. He was studying. The next season Mahoney showed up after losing over 40 lbs and was a new man. Stronger, faster you could see in his eyes that he had decided to maximize all his skills. His platee discipline was better, coupled with the speed at his size. I've never seen a 1B who could run like that (he stole 29 of 30 in the SAL that season). Only the power seemed to take a dip. When I saw him just after the promotion to Bowie in 2010, he looked bigger, now mixing the speed and bringing back the power. I think Joe continues to climb the prospect chart this season and could be ready to make the team as soon as next season.

I tell this story because I'm sure many folks never saw Mahoney before 2010, and don't realize the dedication to transform himself as a player he has been through. I know on another string, Don, I believe mentioned how small the difference is between an organizational player, a prospect and a MLB All Star. All these kids have talent and potential, to me, as a fan, what separates one from the other is the drive and desire they have to fufill their potential, and Mahoney has shown the drive to elevate himself from one level to the next through hard work. I have all the hope in the world he will continue to drive to the next level once again.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by j.q. higgins » July 28th, 2011, 7:58 am

so, can we expect mahoney to get bumped up to norfolk soon? at this point, he's played about 100 games at bowie going back to last year and his numbers are pretty consistent.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by Don » July 28th, 2011, 10:02 am

Mahoney is a dead pull hitter and has what I feel is a whole on the outside, really the outside lower half. Unless he finds a way to take the pitch in the opposite direction, he will have a tough time adjusting to the plus off-speed offering that professional pitcher bring night in and night out.

I am fearful of the delay pause action in his setup, it gets his hips pulled away from the plate to really kick the bat head through the zone. He has survivied up to this point and shown solid numbers, but it is not 100% certain that he can sustain these levels as he moves up to face better class of pitchers. He is not a rotational swing and it is not doomed from the start, he simply may have timing issues and streaky at the plate when he is picking up the ball.

Kid has Pop-eye forarms and can mustard some pop in the bat when he gets off-balanced. His bat speed is very formidable and may help correct some of his defiecencies. This is why I still give him a punchers chance to see more than a cup of coffee as a MLB ball player.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 28th, 2011, 2:01 pm

j.q. higgins wrote:so, can we expect mahoney to get bumped up to norfolk soon? at this point, he's played about 100 games at bowie going back to last year and his numbers are pretty consistent.

I would like to see Derrek Lee shipped out so Brandon Snyder can get some time at 1B in the majors. That would move Mahoney to Norfolk.

I always wonder if Harbor Park is what's killing Snyder. I believe he's mentioned it before.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » July 28th, 2011, 4:04 pm

I always wonder if Harbor Park is what's killing Snyder. I believe he's mentioned it before.

Jordan,

There's no question that can be a tough park to hit in but the good hitters make the adjustments necessary to get the job done. I just don't think Snyder is a 1B on a winning team. I wish the organization would start playing him at 3B, 2B, C, and LF at AAA so that he's a possible utility guy at the MLB level next year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 30th, 2011, 3:31 pm

ofahn wrote:

Jordan,

There's no question that can be a tough park to hit in but the good hitters make the adjustments necessary to get the job done. I just don't think Snyder is a 1B on a winning team. I wish the organization would start playing him at 3B, 2B, C, and LF at AAA so that he's a possible utility guy at the MLB level next year.

Of course not. Personally, I would just much rather watch Snyder than Lee.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues