Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Post your Sleeper Prospects

Post your Sleeper Prospects

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 15th, 2011, 11:27 pm

Sleeper prospects don't necessarily have to be someone that isn't in your top 30 list. But they should be someone who you feel is under the radar and has the chance to make a major jump either in performance or prospect status in 2011.

A few guys I like:

Jesse Beal - Love his command/control and feel he has the chance to put up some mind boggling numbers for the Keys.

Ashur Tolliver - I've heard good things about him from minors camp and hes reportedly put on about 30 pounds. I think we're going to see a different guy this season.

Jarrett Martin - Needs to lower the walk rate and if he does could jump up prospect lists.

Who are your sleepers?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Post your Sleeper Prospects

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » March 16th, 2011, 11:10 pm

Great topic. I'll start with Jonathan Schoop. Although most consider him a prospect and in many cases a pretty highly rated one, I think he will slide udner the radar being flanked by Givens and Machado. I think he could be special, but most will over look his accomplishments this season. Next I'll take Randy Henry. Great control, exceptional stuff. I think if he stays healthy, this will be a big season for Randy and I look for him to have one of the best BB/K ratio's in the organization this season. Lastly, I'll take Blair Dunlap. I liked this kid in collegeand expect him to perform well at lower levels. I think his progress will slow as he advances, but if he starts in Aberdeen, I think he is way ahead of kids at that level, and will put up big numbers.

I don't disagree with your selection of Beal, but I must say, it appeared that his arm got tired quickly last season in just 114 IP. Provided he can get through the whole season healthy and can survive 140+ IP, I'll agree with you. When he was right last season, his 6'6" frame seems understated and he reminded more of these pitchers in the 6'9" -6'10" range whose pitches seem to drop out of no where.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Re: Post your Sleeper Prospects

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 17th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Great topic. I'll start with Jonathan Schoop. Although most consider him a prospect and in many cases a pretty highly rated one, I think he will slide udner the radar being flanked by Givens and Machado. I think he could be special, but most will over look his accomplishments this season. Next I'll take Randy Henry. Great control, exceptional stuff. I think if he stays healthy, this will be a big season for Randy and I look for him to have one of the best BB/K ratio's in the organization this season. Lastly, I'll take Blair Dunlap. I liked this kid in collegeand expect him to perform well at lower levels. I think his progress will slow as he advances, but if he starts in Aberdeen, I think he is way ahead of kids at that level, and will put up big numbers.

According to OH, Blair Dunlap retired.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Minor Leagues