Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#32 Prospect - Tim Berry

#32 Prospect - Tim Berry

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 10th, 2011, 12:50 am

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=9295

Tim Berry comes in at #33 in our top prospect countdown; he’s a guy I’ve touched up on quite a bit. He was a 50th round draft pick in 2009, and a result doesn’t receive much attention, although he should. He signed for 4th-6th round money and without a doubt should be put right up there with names such as Cameron Coffey or Aaron Wirsch.

Full top 50 list
32. Tim Berry
33. Jaime Esquivel
34. Michael Ohlman
35. Rick Zagone
36. Ashur Tolliver
37. Wynston Sawyer
38. Brenden Webb
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #32 Prospect - Tim Berry

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » March 10th, 2011, 6:13 am

If you're looking for a pitcher flying under the radar this year, this could be the one. Needs to improve BB/K ration which was 14/23 in the 20IP last season. I'd leave this kid in FL unless everyone is 100% health issues are behind him.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Don » March 10th, 2011, 10:34 am

He has a ton of items to work on this year and while you can consider them small he needs to loosen up on the mound and is way to stiff. It does not seem effortless coming from his hand because his lower and upper body movements are not in sync. I agree that he could use better footwork, but he needs to maintain a consistant in everything he does, especially in the wind up. I would like to see a bit more drive from the lower body. I would really like to see a greater emphasis on the follow through, as he pulls up early on occassion. These are things that will improve his command and lessen the impact on an already repaired elbow and shoulder.

I think he is better out of the stretch right now, so I know he is more than athletic enough to make the adjustments.

In my mind, he is better off serving as a relief pitcher until he can effectively correct these items. They may stretch him out in the minors, but he is going to be middle relief or loogy at the major league level. It is still not bad, but until he can repeat his delivery and clear up the minor flaws it is safe to limit his innings and pitches to keep him arm healthy. He ceiling is back of the rotation, but he has a few things to correct before you realisically will see him in that role long term.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by OFPM » March 10th, 2011, 12:42 pm

That video was taken the first week on the mound after coming back from TJ surgery. I would expect inconsistency in every part of his delivery after not pitching for over a year. Not really fair to look at that video and make any assessment about anything. This spring might be a better picture of the kind of pitcher he is.
OFPM
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by Don » March 10th, 2011, 12:57 pm

My assessment is not from that video; it is from tapes before he was drafted. I am not saying "this or that", but he needs to improve certain aspects of his mechanics to prolong health and maintain consistency of his potential growth.

I get tons of stuff from multiple friends that scout in baseball. I will tell you he was on two other teams radar in that draft. I told one scout that once refined, he could end up being a solid guy in the back of the rotation. If I give a kid credit for this role or better, I think rather well of him.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 10th, 2011, 7:29 pm

OFPM wrote:That video was taken the first week on the mound after coming back from TJ surgery. I would expect inconsistency in every part of his delivery after not pitching for over a year. Not really fair to look at that video and make any assessment about anything. This spring might be a better picture of the kind of pitcher he is.

Exactly why I included this bit:

This can be fixed with time and could quite possibly already be corrected.*

*Note: I last saw Berry in August of 2010.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by Don » March 11th, 2011, 8:37 am

Yeah Jordan, but I feel that the two of us have seen him a few times either in person or on tape. I think he has not shaped him improvements over his professional career at this point. He can easily correct some of these things and I know McGregor will see him and clear up alot of his current issues. It would be nice to see his progress this spring. It would be in his best interests to remain in sarasota through the first part of the season and continue to push a new approach to the plate. I feel this is the best way to really see him grow as a professional.

I still think he can do damage because he really uses little lower body. If he starts to put his rear end into throws, he could see a slight jump on the radar gun and make his whole arsenal that much better. He still could be a back of rotation guy.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Return to Minor Leagues