Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#34 Prospect - Michael Ohlman

#34 Prospect - Michael Ohlman

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 7th, 2011, 1:31 am

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=9251

The Orioles’ 2009 11th round draft pick out of Lakewood Ranch HS (FL), Michael Ohlman signed for $995,000 and made his pro debut in the GCL after signing on August 15th. With fellow catcher Justin Dalles injured at the beginning of 2010, Ohlman was given the opportunity to start at catcher for the Delmarva Shorebirds.

Full top 50 list
34. Michael Ohlman
35. Rick Zagone
36. Ashur Tolliver
37. Wynston Sawyer
38. Brenden Webb
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #34 Prospect - Michael Ohlman

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » March 7th, 2011, 4:17 am

Oh boy, where do you start in talking abouut Ohlman. I never yelll things like you quote in the story as these kids, because they are kids. If there was ever a player I wanted to break that rule for, this is it. I found him to be terrible behind the plate, weak at the plate and he showed no command what so ever of the pitching staff. Still, to young to be labeled a bust (see MAtt Hobgood), Michael is going to need to find a new spot on the field if he ever wants to reach the bigs. The good news for Michael himself is he has a family who spent a lot of time visiting him so he has a foundation of support to overcome the boo birds. They investing a lot of money up front in him, so I certainly hope it pans out, but if I were a betting man, I'd pass on that one.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 7th, 2011, 8:49 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:They investing a lot of money up front in him, so I certainly hope it pans out, but if I were a betting man, I'd pass on that one.

Yeah, he hasn't looked anything like the guy the Orioles thought they were getting. He was a big part of the overall frustrating year 2010 was for the O's minors.

Thanks for providing the tidbit about his family coming out to a bunch of games! Good to hear.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by bird's fan » March 8th, 2011, 7:01 am

Jordan wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:They investing a lot of money up front in him, so I certainly hope it pans out, but if I were a betting man, I'd pass on that one.

Yeah, he hasn't looked anything like the guy the Orioles thought they were getting. He was a big part of the overall frustrating year 2010 was for the O's minors.

Thanks for providing the tidbit about his family coming out to a bunch of games! Good to hear.

Ya, I don't know who scouted this kid but they missed the boat. He doesn't appear to have the instincts for the catching position. His defensive skills are lacking and, at times, looks lost behind the dish. I can't even say it's lack of maturity because he just didn't pick up the mit, he's been a catcher for a number of years. I don't understand how he's even mentioned in the "Top Prospects" listings . Maybe he'll pick it up but he has a very long way to go at this level.
bird's fan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by Don » March 8th, 2011, 12:09 pm

You guys have to remember if he finally starts to hit as projected, you can live with his average to below average defensive aspects.

He was also likely never to stick at catcher. This is something I highlighted a few weeks back and the best pure defensive catcher in the system is Dalles. Both Ohlman and Joesph may have to switch positions to crack the roster. It is a reason why catchers are so highly valued. Ohlman has alot of wiggle room and his athletism could still see projected growth defensively.

I can live with him behind the plate, if he turns into a Mike Piazza clone, and he has the potent bat potential to do it.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues