Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Hunter Harvey debut at Delmarva

Hunter Harvey debut at Delmarva

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » April 4th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Wish I could have been there.

Either way, 6.0 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K

Could we ask for anything more? This kid is good. I hope the O's fanbase realizes this. The O's found an absolute gem at 24 in the draft last year
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Hunter Harvey debut at Delmarva

PostPost #2 by ofahn » April 5th, 2014, 8:26 am

6.0 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K

That's good; right?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » April 5th, 2014, 9:15 am

It will be fun to watch. Sadly though I will refuse to get excited until he manages similar numbers at AA for a full season. A single appearance in Delmarva is not enough to excite anyone.

By the same token though it should be fun to watch Stephen Tarpley and perhaps Travis Seabrooke as well. Seabrooke sadly stays with short season clubs this season.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » April 7th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:It will be fun to watch. Sadly though I will refuse to get excited until he manages similar numbers at AA for a full season. A single appearance in Delmarva is not enough to excite anyone.

By the same token though it should be fun to watch Stephen Tarpley and perhaps Travis Seabrooke as well. Seabrooke sadly stays with short season clubs this season.

I understand that feeling, but remember that they have to deal at the lower levels before even getting that chance at AA.

I have not heard good things about Tarpley so far... I think it was very telling that he did not start the season with a full season team. Hopefully what I heard was overblown and he is just fine.

Super excited about Seabrooke. He will be at Aberdeen most likely as you said.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by dan72 » May 12th, 2014, 7:49 pm

Hunter is like a man against boys down there. I'd say he's ready for Frederick.........
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » May 31st, 2014, 9:26 pm

Tomorrow being June 1st, it's already time to bump Hunter Harvey up to Frederick. He's really not being challenged at Low A. I am not suddenly shifting him into "Race him through the minors" I just see no reason he should be in Delmarva. He's got things to work on. He can work on those things against better players.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by osforlife » June 5th, 2014, 3:00 pm

I'm against promoting him, simply because I don't want him to be rushed. Dylan Bundy went from Delmarva to the majors in his first professional season out of high school at age 19. Ridiculous. Kevin Gausman has spent more time at AAA than all of the other levels combined, and it looks like he will spend the season in Norfolk, barring a major league injury. Don't you think there is something wrong there? Why can't a good Baltimore pitching prospect spend appropriate time at each affiliate? It's called developing; maybe we should try it sometime. It's not as if Harvey is Dylan Bundy dominating. Nothing wrong with letting him spend more time there.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » June 5th, 2014, 5:01 pm

The jump from Delmarva to Frederick is not nearly so great as the jump from Bowie to Norfolk. And no I am not trying to rush Hunter Harvey in anyway shape or form. Truth is Harvey could make a living off his fastball alone at Delmarva. I do agree players need time in the minors. However the necessity of off speed pitches would be driven home at Frederick. A lot of good players breeze there way through low and high A. Harvey is clearly heads and tails above whom he is facing. I am not really sure he's anything to prove where he is now. Thus my argument it's time for a promotion.

Look Gausman really hasn't had that much time at AAA. Truth is he's had less than Chris Tillman or Jake Arrieta ever had there. I see AA ball where the starters are separated from relievers. AAA ball is where starters learn how to be pitch efficient and master control (if developed properly). At the high levels is where I honestly believe a full season is needed at each level.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Return to Minor Leagues