Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2014 Orioles Best Tools List

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » January 6th, 2014, 8:57 am

http://bit.ly/1klJhDP

A look at the best tools within the Orioles’ farm system.
Fire away. I am guessing there will be some questions.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: 2014 Orioles Best Tools List

PostPost #2 by osforlife » January 6th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Great List! I am surprised not to see Brenden Webb at least as an honorable mention on the "eye/plate discipline" section. The dude has a career .357 on base percentage, which is very impressive considering his awful .225 batting average.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » January 6th, 2014, 4:01 pm

osforlife wrote:Great List! I am surprised not to see Brenden Webb at least as an honorable mention on the "eye/plate discipline" section. The dude has a career .357 on base percentage, which is very impressive considering his awful .225 batting average.

Thanks!
He does have a solid eye, although he is sometimes way too passive at the plate. 2013 was a huge down-year for him, really struggled in all aspects. But he is probably worth mentioning.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by j.q. higgins » January 6th, 2014, 5:40 pm

could you talk a little bit about your methodology in arriving at these numbers?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » January 6th, 2014, 6:38 pm

j.q. higgins wrote:could you talk a little bit about your methodology in arriving at these numbers?

Sure, no problem.

A lot of these numbers derive from my personal grades to each player during the season. I usually grade players as I see them, but rarely post them. For this list, I also polled a few scouts and asked their thoughts on most (not all) of these players.

I will give an example:

Zach Davies Changeup:
My grade - 50/60
Scout 1 - 50/55
Scout 2 - 55/55
Final Grade - 55/60

Obviously, I am the highest on Davies' change, but the scouts both had differing views.
There is some arbitrary thought process behind the grading, as in the end it is truly all what I or the scouts' think. It is why I tried to explain next to the grade what I was thinking. Majority of the reports inside are mine, outside of the players I have not seen.

For any grade "caught in the middle" like Hunter Harvey's Fastball (65): That essentially means that his fastball will be on the high end of the "plus" rating, but not quite a true plus-plus pitch (which would be 70).

I hope that makes more sense and gives a little more gravy to the substance.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » January 7th, 2014, 10:17 am

One mistake I did find on my list is that I forgot to include Hunter Harvey Curveball. He would slot ahead of Tim Berry on the list.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Return to Minor Leagues