Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#36 Prospect - Ashur Tolliver

#36 Prospect - Ashur Tolliver

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 25th, 2011, 8:53 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=8580

Like the majority of the Orioles’ 2009 draft picks, Ashur Tolliver’s season was hampered by injuries. A sore shoulder kept him in extended spring training and as a result wasn’t able to open 2010 with the Shorebirds, as most expected. Instead, Tolliver spent all of 2010 pitching out of the Aberdeen bullpen where he produced mixed results. His FIP (4.31) was more than a run below his ERA (5.77), which is always a good sign, though his strikeout rate was not where it should be.

Full top 50 list
36. Ashur Tolliver
37. Wynston Sawyer
38. Brenden Webb
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #36 Prospect - Ashur Tolliver

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » February 26th, 2011, 3:30 am

Jordan,

This kid have closer stuff or do you see him as more of a middle relief guy?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Don » February 26th, 2011, 10:51 am

This is not personal, but I am not high on him at all. I think you can find these guys every single draft class.

I think his delivery is a direct result of other actions I stated in the past. He does some of the exact same things that could be the contributing factor of shoulder and elbow problems as he places too much stress on the areas by over-exagertaing aspects of the delivery.

He is 100% a bullpen arm and I do not know if there is anything special about him unless he is completely lights out against left handed batting.

I hope he does well, but I feel there are a few ranked behind him that show more potential being a fixture in the Orioles long term plans.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 26th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Jordan,

This kid have closer stuff or do you see him as more of a middle relief guy?

Right now he's a LOOGY for me, but borderline middle relief. He has some good stuff and I am not sure he was totally healthy last season. If he gets his velocity back into the low 90's he definitely has back end bullpen stuff. Probably more of a setup man than a closer, but it's not impossible.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 26th, 2011, 6:46 pm

Don wrote:This is not personal, but I am not high on him at all. I think you can find these guys every single draft class.

I think his delivery is a direct result of other actions I stated in the past. He does some of the exact same things that could be the contributing factor of shoulder and elbow problems as he places too much stress on the areas by over-exaggerating aspects of the delivery.

He is 100% a bullpen arm and I do not know if there is anything special about him unless he is completely lights out against left handed batting.

I hope he does well, but I feel there are a few ranked behind him that show more potential being a fixture in the Orioles long term plans.

Agree, re: bullpen arm. No doubt that's his future, but I do think his stuff is good enough to be an above-average reliever.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by backbone » February 28th, 2011, 10:04 am

He was not 100% last year, maybe 75 to 80%. You will see a different guy this season. He has put on 30 pounds and is finally healthy. I would not be surprised if he is put back into a starters roll after Spring Training.
backbone
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 28th, 2011, 1:53 pm

backbone wrote:He was not 100% last year, maybe 75 to 80%. You will see a different guy this season. He has put on 30 pounds and is finally healthy. I would not be surprised if he is put back into a starters roll after Spring Training.

I'd be more than thrilled if that happened. Nice to see him back at full strength.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues