Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#37 Prospect - Wynston Sawyer

#37 Prospect - Wynston Sawyer

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 23rd, 2011, 11:55 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=8543

The Orioles selected Wynston Sawyer in the 8th round of the 2010 draft and signed him to a $300,000 bonus a few weeks before the deadline. He was a late riser and burst onto the scene after a big offensive campaign in high school pushed him up draft boards.

Full top 50 list
37. Wynston Sawyer
38. Brenden Webb
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #37 Prospect - Wynston Sawyer

PostPost #2 by Don » February 24th, 2011, 11:47 am

For being a Southren California kid, he was not a national scene guy on the radar and not a gym rat that was 100% dedicated to baseball. He was not a showcase player as a soph or junior because he was a scrawny bag of bones that was about 160 pounds on a over 6 foot frame. This is not questioning his passion, it simply is the look that he was extending his youth in muptiple areas simply being a kid.

He found a weight room and that wiry power started to turn into a big pop in his bat. He has alot of potential, but I think his long term plan is in the outfield. He lacks the arm strenght and usually when guys start to fill out the release time goes north of .45 seconds and it is tough to see him crack a 1.7 in pop to pop in order to be a professional catcher.

In this example provided, he does drive down on the ball and the degree is not overly concerning. His style is considered slight collapsing back sided and push through the ball. You combine with the the barrell and the hands drving down more than through the ball simply tell me this kid requires alot more growth and teaching. He can iron out these little things through teaching and massive repetitions.

He needs to fill out and re-fine his skills, but this is the reason why he is a high upside 8th round pick instead of a second round pick. They might as well try to keep him behind the plate to enhance his overall value to the club.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » February 26th, 2011, 3:29 am

Don,

Interesting that you talk of Sawyer as an OF. I've wondered why, over the past few seasons there have been so many overslot catchers with Wieters already in place. I know catcher is a very hard position to fill, but it seems the investments (Joseph, Dalles, Ohlman and now Sawyer) have hindered our depth at other positions. Love to hear anyones thoughts on this.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by Don » February 26th, 2011, 11:26 am

There is not a single catcher in this system that is a 100% lock to stay in the position within the higher ranks. It takes something really special and the reason why Molina's and Posada's will have contracts until they call it quits.

Ohlman - Best bat as catcher, at least from potential standpoint. Footwork needs a great deal of attention, but this kid is simply strong.

Joesph - Might be the best overall catching prospect, but I still would grade him average behind the plate. It would be wise to introduce him to other positions to increase his overall value as what I see in a bench player.

Dalles- I think his defense is ahead of his bat. If everything falls right, he could be a future backstop in Camden Yards. He just needs to shrug off the injury label and his game should round out.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues