Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#39 Prospect - Troy Patton

#39 Prospect - Troy Patton

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 21st, 2011, 9:58 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=8352

Once considered part of the Orioles' future rotation, injuries have delayed Troy Patton's permanent return to the majors and he's likely just a bullpen piece at this point. He did make it to Baltimore last year but made it into only one game, pitching just 2/3 of an inning.

Full top 50 list
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #39 Prospect - Troy Patton

PostPost #2 by Don » February 22nd, 2011, 11:20 am

Not every great prospect turns into a solid addition to a major league roster, but it is nice to see him come through his injuries and at least get into a game. He is a step above 4A at this point. I do not think he is even close to the pitcher before the shoulder injury, but his game was not consistent of a bulldog pitcher.

He no longer has the stamina to last long. I think he is a bit more in the 88-90 range on the four seamer, but he should focus more on the two seamer as it has some late life on it. If I were making the call, I would have him scrap the slider and try to focus on off speed that does not command much pressure. I think he throw a circle change and maybe adding a something that could drop. He has long fingers for his small statue, why not try a palm ball or a non snapping forkball.

His baseball life can only be extended with stuff that works the bottom of the zone. Usually, guys with shoulder or elbow injuries are best to eliminate curves, slurves, sliders, and any type of "snapping" pitches.

I think you can see him make the bullpen out of ST because he is left handed and can get out left handed batters. You can make a long career out of it with that low riding two seamer.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues