Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#40 Prospect - Eddie Gamboa

#40 Prospect - Eddie Gamboa

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 19th, 2011, 6:38 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=8256

Eddie Gamboa has put up impressive numbers every step of the way during his time in the minors; including an ERA of 2.80 and just 58 walks in 244 innings. He spent about half of 2010 in Bowie's rotation and the other half coming out of the bullpen. The results were much better when he came out of the 'pen and he's primarily a reliever going forward.

Full top 50 list
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #40 Prospect - Eddie Gamboa

PostPost #2 by ShowalterPower » February 19th, 2011, 7:33 pm

If he stays stays in the bullpen this season he should get to Baltimore, no doubt. With Luis Lebron, Pat Egan, Troy Patton and maybe Erbe, the O's have some nice high level relievers.
ShowalterPower
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Don » February 19th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Egan is gone and most likely gone for good, if what I believe would be a "swap" of rule 5 free agents and the Brewers would allow the Orioles to keep Rosario.

I think he will be a nice change of pace bullpen arm in the mid-innings, especially on night of the left handers because his stuff moves against the grain. He throws down with life and good command. I would rather him scrap the curveball and instead use a sinker or split. His makeup allows him to top the ball down late and it is a small key that a drop off pitch would be more effective, just my thought.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by DougDE » February 20th, 2011, 6:07 am

How was Gamboa obtained?
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by Don » February 20th, 2011, 8:24 am

Eddie Gamboa was a late round draft pick in 2008; I think it was somewhere in the very late teens or early 20's. He is a bit older 26/27 years of age and the reason why his is not as high as his stuff would indicate. This is it and really no more room to grow. If he makes the team on day, it goes against all logic this late in the draft. You have to pull for these guys to make the majors and have some success.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by 2131andBeyond » February 20th, 2011, 10:43 am

Don wrote:Egan is gone and most likely gone for good, if what I believe would be a "swap" of rule 5 free agents and the Brewers would allow the Orioles to keep Rosario.

The "swap" part was basically that in the Rule 5 Draft, we selected a Brewers pitcher, and they did the same in return from our system. Chances Rosario makes our team? Slim. Therefore, he goes back to them (rule is the player has to stay on team's 25-man for entire season). Egan could possibly make the Brew Crew and stick with it. Through the AFL and last year, he was quite impressive.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » February 20th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Good choice here. I was realy surprised by Gamboa back in 2009. Simply lights out the entire season, no matter how much they promoted him. Nothing fancy or overwhelming in his arsenal, just has the knack to find a way to miss bats.

Don wrote:Eddie Gamboa was a late round draft pick in 2008; I think it was somewhere in the very late teens or early 20's. He is a bit older 26/27 years of age and the reason why his is not as high as his stuff would indicate. This is it and really no more room to grow. If he makes the team on day, it goes against all logic this late in the draft. You have to pull for these guys to make the majors and have some success.

Just to clarify, Gamboa turned 26 just before the holidays, and was a 21st round pick in 2008.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #8 by Don » July 6th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Gamboa looked solid last night. His fastball was sitting 92 and touched 93 once. The change up was working down in the zone. He shows some deception in the delivery that makes it difficult to sqaure up on the ball. I am surprised that he is not in Norfolk and would think that Sepetember 1st, he will be given a look as roster expand. The bullpen needs every arm they can get down the road and the Egan's, Gamboa's, etc... should be given the opportunity to see if they can make a difference in the future.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 6th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Don wrote:Gamboa looked solid last night. His fastball was sitting 92 and touched 93 once. The change up was working down in the zone. He shows some deception in the delivery that makes it difficult to sqaure up on the ball. I am surprised that he is not in Norfolk and would think that Sepetember 1st, he will be given a look as roster expand. The bullpen needs every arm they can get down the road and the Egan's, Gamboa's, etc... should be given the opportunity to see if they can make a difference in the future.

He goes unnoticed because of his age but there is definitely some big league potential.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #10 by Don » July 6th, 2011, 5:44 pm

He will not wow you on the mound, but this is the type that all fans should pull for every chance they get. I think he shows enough to be a middle relief pitcher and the role is sorely needed for Orioles. He should be given a chance this September, but I am not holding the cards.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Return to Minor Leagues