Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Mike Belfiore

Mike Belfiore

PostPost #1 by ljmillar22 » August 1st, 2013, 11:57 am

What do we have in this player i ask this question because ive been flicking through his stats at AAA and he strikesout just over a batter an inning, which to me is great, i love seeing strikeouts. The question i pose is why is his ERA so high when facing lefties considering he is a lefty? Any answers will be appreciated
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Mike Belfiore

PostPost #2 by osforlife » August 1st, 2013, 12:09 pm

Mike Belfiore was drafted 45th in the first round of the 2009 major league draft by the Arizona Diamondbacks as compensation for losing reliever Brandon Lyon to free agency. He was orignally a starter, but flamed out in A+ ball do to his horrid control and inability to get RHH out consistently, I remember reading. He was made into a full time reliever then next year, and was traded to the Orioles early in the 2012 season as the PTBNL in the Josh Bell trade. After a promising performance in 2012 at Bowie, Belfiore was promoted to Norfolk at the start of 2013, and named the organization's #19 prospect, if I remember correctly. He's gotten hit around this year, as evident by his 10.0 H/9, 1.1 HR/9, and 1.500 WHIP. But, he's managed to keep the ERA down to 4.02 and kept the strikeouts up at 10.1 per nine innings. He'll most likely start next year at Norfolk, but could very well end up being a Baltimore LOOGY later in his career.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Minor Leagues