Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Catching up with Randy Henry (Interview)

Catching up with Randy Henry (Interview)

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 14th, 2011, 10:24 am

Henry and I discussed his off-season workouts, major league players he's been training with, his excitement of returning to the mound after a 2010 elbow injury, who he's compared to and more.

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=8037
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Catching up with Randy Henry (Interview)

PostPost #2 by Don » February 14th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Hopefully, he has tweaked some of the minor issues that go along with Jake Peavy as well. I think Peavy is a nice comparable for stuff, but mechanically it is a label I would want to stay away from at all costs. The good thing is the Orioles want to limit him this season.

I want to see the Orioles focus on short burst and primarly a late inning type arm. He has great stuff, but mechanically his health is tied to the amount of stress on his shoulder and elbow. Limiting his workload will make him a healthier pitcher and add years to his career.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 14th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Don wrote:Hopefully, he has tweaked some of the minor issues that go along with Jake Peavy as well. I think Peavy is a nice comparable for stuff, but mechanically it is a label I would want to stay away from at all costs. The good thing is the Orioles want to limit him this season.

I want to see the Orioles focus on short burst and primarily a late inning type arm. He has great stuff, but mechanically his health is tied to the amount of stress on his shoulder and elbow. Limiting his workload will make him a healthier pitcher and add years to his career.

Henry actually has some of the cleanest mechanics in the system. His arm injuries are somewhat of a mystery.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » February 14th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Jordan,

Good day today as you touched on my two favorite players in the O's minor league organization. Henry and Miclat. This kid has the potential to be a closer in the bigs and I'd love to see them having him close at Frederick this season. I could see a 2013 arrival.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by Don » February 15th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Henry actually has some of the cleanest mechanics in the system. His arm injuries are somewhat of a mystery.

I have not had the chance to see him throw, but know enough about Jake Peavy that I wish no kid to be thought of as him, Mark Prior, etc.... I will take your word that it was simply a freak issue with Henry and he was refering to simply his arsenal of pitches and how he throws.

Seeing what some have written about him as a pitcher, he is best suited for a bullpen role.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by bird's fan » February 15th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Jordan wrote:
Don wrote:Hopefully, he has tweaked some of the minor issues that go along with Jake Peavy as well. I think Peavy is a nice comparable for stuff, but mechanically it is a label I would want to stay away from at all costs. The good thing is the Orioles want to limit him this season.

I want to see the Orioles focus on short burst and primarily a late inning type arm. He has great stuff, but mechanically his health is tied to the amount of stress on his shoulder and elbow. Limiting his workload will make him a healthier pitcher and add years to his career.

I agree about his mechanics and who knows why , at times, pitchers suffer injuries. I'm looking forward to seeing him bounce back and throw well. For the first time in a number of years we , Oriole fans, have something to look forward to, with a new season . Buck has this organization going in the right direction and we have a number of young players with talent and new veterans to mentor these guys
Last edited by bird's fan on February 16th, 2011, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bird's fan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #7 by DougDE » February 16th, 2011, 5:27 am

Jordan wrote:His arm injuries are somewhat of a mystery.

Another candidate for a long tossing program???
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 16th, 2011, 6:01 pm

DougDE wrote:
Jordan wrote:His arm injuries are somewhat of a mystery.

Another candidate for a long tossing program???

I actually asked Henry about this. He said he throws up to 150 ft and that long tossing is good if you have good form/mechanics, but otherwise increases your chance of injury.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Don » February 16th, 2011, 8:41 pm

What is it with these new age pitching coaches preaching 120 and 150 ft?

I do not subcribe to the foul pole to foul pole program, a la Lincecum, that some long toss guys want to follow, but I can not see why guys will not throw 200 or 250 ft for the last few throws at a peak phase, at that level. I would never want a kid under 18 to throw beyond 150 ft, but these mature guys to limit themselves. Everyone has thier different approaches to pitching, but a high rash of injuries that have started to follow these kids over the last decade seems to me that it is broke and needs fixing.

I agree that if your form starts to drop, you stop it immediately.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Return to Minor Leagues