Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Trade Ty Kelly To Seattle For OF Eric Thames

Orioles Trade Ty Kelly To Seattle For OF Eric Thames

PostPost #1 by ofahn » June 30th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Orioles Acquire Eric Thames
By Zach Links [June 30, 2013 at 11:51am CST]

The Orioles announced that they have acquired outfielder Eric Thames from the Mariners in exchange for minor league infielder Ty Kelly. Thames was designated for assignment earlier this month to clear a 40-man roster spot for fellow outfielder Franklin Gutierrez.

Thames hopes that a change of scenery will lead to his first big league game in 2013. In his time with Triple-A Tacoma, Thames posted a slash line of .295/.382/.479 across 249 plate appearances. In 684 career major league PAs, Thames has hit .250/.296/.431.

Kelly, who turns 25 in July, has hit 283/.389/.382 in 72 games for the O's Double-A affiliate. The switch-hitter has spent the bulk of his time at second base and third base with some experience in the outfield.

I hope Kelly gets a chance in Seattle.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/06/o ... hames.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Trade Ty Kelly To Seattle For OF Eric Thames

PostPost #2 by dan72 » June 30th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Just what we need, another AAAA outfielder. He can jump in the pool with Dickerson, Avery, Hoes, and Riemold. Plus with Pearce and Valencia already in the rotation, I just don't see Thames in Baltimore until September call ups.
Another scrap heap, "organizational depth" move by Dan Duquette.......

Notice to DD, Thames can't pitch. Every media outlet that reports on the Orioles is calling for a move to get pitching here to Baltimore.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » June 30th, 2013, 10:42 pm

I suspect this has more to do with Nate McLouth's asking price for next season and beyond. That said, this is not a bad move and it didn't hurt us any. As for SP... yeah well to get that your going to have to take a real hit somewhere and you never know until it's too late whether or not it was worth it.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #4 by mikezpen » July 2nd, 2013, 2:48 pm

Looks like D. hadn't forgotten about that pitching after all! :)

This is an depth move, w/possibly a look toward next yr.He mite be useful as a bench player in September, too.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by ofahn » July 2nd, 2013, 3:02 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I suspect this has more to do with Nate McLouth's asking price for next season and beyond.

You could be right, but at this point I suspect that Reimold, Hoes, and Urrutia are higher on the depth chart than Thames.

BTW - IF McLouth finishes the year with an .800 OPS or better I would make him a qualified offer. I understand that the price would be slightly in excess of 14M and that is about 4M more than he would be worth, but if he takes another offer then we would get a draft pick somewhere between #30 and #40, OR if he stays we get a plus LF on a one year contract, OR we could trade him for a decent prospect. It's really win - win.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Minor Leagues