Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Carolina League pitchers

Carolina League pitchers

PostPost #1 by pickoffmove26 » June 2nd, 2013, 8:05 pm

There are 110 pitchers currently on active rosters in the Carolina league. For comparison reasons, I used the formula of 0.4 IP per team game to determine a list of qualifying pitchers. I know the standard method of ranking pitchers by ERA is using 0.8 IP per team game, but using that formula eliminates every single relief pitcher unless that relief pitchers has at least 3 starts this season. As of today a pitcher would need at least 21.20 IP to qualify (Salem has played the least games - 53) * 0.4 IP = 21.20
There are 76 pitchers that qualify for this list. Only 8 pitchers have a 2.00 ERA or better, out of those 8 pitchers, Only 1 has under a 3.00 FIP.

That pitcher is Trent Howard from the Frederick Keys. 1.45 ERA; 2.72 FIP
pickoffmove26
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Carolina League pitchers

PostPost #2 by ofahn » June 2nd, 2013, 8:34 pm

pickoffmove26 wrote:That pitcher is Trent Howard from the Frederick Keys.

The downside of Trent is that he's at least one year older than he should be for that league AND the organization has apparently come to the conclusion that he's not SP material. At this point he probably tracks to have a ceiling as an effective ML middle reliever.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by pickoffmove26 » June 2nd, 2013, 10:05 pm

the organization has apparently come to the conclusion that he's not SP material.

I looked at that.

Tim Berry is ranked #12 Top prospect and Eduardo Rodriguez being the #4 top prospect by the organization. Since both are LHP and there isn't a team in the Carolina league that has 3 SP that are LHP, that left no room for Trent Howard in the rotation. I don't believe it had anything to do with Trent Howard not being SP material. The organization has given plenty of room for other pitchers to grow as a SP.

Looking at his career, he did well in Aberdeen, made the All star team, he did well in Delmarva as a starter with under a 2.00 ERA and was promoted mid season last year to Frederick. He didn't get a full season in Frederick to prove himself. I think part of it has to do with giving up 15 HR last year in Frederick. Harry Grove stadium has a park factor of 160. There are 256 minor league stadiums and only five stadiums have a higher park factor than 160. All five stadiums are in the rookie leagues. http://minorleaguecentral.com/parkfactors. On the other hand, a younger guy like Parker Bridwell gave up 15 HR in Delmarva and Perdue stadium has a park factor of 82. Parker's ERA is through the roof and is still a Starter. This makes me believe it was more about avoiding 3 Starting LHP in the rotation.

I think if he was given a full season as a starter this season, his numbers would be comparable to Eduardo Rodriguez.

Comparing Rodriguez and Howard this season...E-Rod has given up 54 hits to 256 batters faced (21.09%). Howard has given up 27 hits to 131 batters faced (20.61%). E-rod has allowed 2 HR (0.78%) Howard has allowed 1 (0.76%). E-Rod allowed 20 BB (7.81%), Howard allowed 10 BB (7.63%). Both have similar WHIP 1.17 vs 1.19. Howard allowed 28.2% of batters faced to reach base by HBP, BB, or hit. E-Rod has allowed 29.6% of batters faced to reach base by HBP, BB, or hit.

They are comparable across the board. The main difference is ERA. Statistically speaking, relievers have an ERA that is 10% better than starters. Starters in the Carolina league have an average ERA of 4.15 (using pitchers that have started 50% or more of their games). Relievers in the Carolina league have an average ERA of 3.75 (using pitchers that have started less than 50% of their games).

To refute your claim that he is a year older than the players in this league, that is incorrect. The average age of a pitcher in the Carolina league at the beginning of this season is 23.67. There have been 138 pitchers in the Carolina league this season at one point or another. The combined age of those pitchers is 3267.83. Which averages out to 23.67 which happens to be the exact age that Trent Howard is listed for at the beginning of this season. Here's my source http://minorleaguecentral.com/leaderboard?lid%5B%5D=122&y=2013&split=200&amod=%3C%3D&age=99&time=0&type=pitcher&table=0
pickoffmove26
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » June 4th, 2013, 7:11 pm

Impressive numbers at A+ and he deserves to be moved up by the ASB. If the Orioles organization is keeping potential starting pitchers at lower levels simply to avoid having too many LHP they would have sunk to a new low of mismanagement. :oops:

Keep the minor league updates and insights coming please. 8-)
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by ofahn » June 4th, 2013, 8:46 pm

pickoffmove26 wrote:To refute your claim that he is a year older than the players in this league, that is incorrect. The average age of a pitcher in the Carolina league at the beginning of this season is 23.67. There have been 138 pitchers in the Carolina league this season at one point or another. The combined age of those pitchers is 3267.83. Which averages out to 23.67 which happens to be the exact age that Trent Howard is listed for at the beginning of this season.

I should have been more specific. What I meant to say was that he was old to be a prospect in that league.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Minor Leagues