Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Parker Bridwell

Parker Bridwell

PostPost #1 by adonijah1510 » April 3rd, 2013, 2:27 pm

Parker Bridwell a Delmarva veteran of sorts pitching in his 3rd season will hopefully improve and make the step to the next level in what is now becoming a very rich pool of prospects. In 27 games started in Delmarva Parker has a record of 5 - 12 something im sure he's hoping to improve this season. After pitching in 132 inning as a starter over the last two years in Delmarva and a total of 136 inning all together after one relief appearance last season he's given up a total of 145 hits and allowed 93 earned runs. After just a small sample size in 2011 for the Delmarva coaches in which he just pitched 5 games, last season Parker played in 23 games 2 as starter dropping his BB/9 from 5.4 to 5.0 and raising his SO/9 from 5.4 to 5.6 number. This season if all goes well he can drop his BB and raise his SO totals over 9 to what he was able to have in Aberdeen which were 3.7 BB/9 and 9.6 SO/9. While also bringing down his HR total down from just 2 in 2011 for two teams which went up to 15 last season. With the season starting tomorrow we shall see how much improvement Parker has done over the fall and if all is well maybe just a sort stint in Delmarva before taking the next step to his big league aspirations.
adonijah1510
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 8

Re: Parker Bridwell

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » April 4th, 2013, 12:16 am

adonijah1510 wrote:Parker Bridwell a Delmarva veteran of sorts pitching in his 3rd season will hopefully improve and make the step to the next level...

Nothing about what you said wasn't the slightest bit inaccurate. I am a little tougher on him but remain conflicted.

On one hand this is where he needs to show that he is far and away past ready for promotion to Frederick. He turns 22 this season and as you said, this is his third go round in the SAL. Either the kid can pitch and is a legitimate prospect or he's minor league fodder to me.

On the other hand maybe this is where age, maturity and repetition show up and everything clicks. I would hate to see him read any post of mine and seem cross or pessimistic. In other words: Why prejudge the guy when he's in a position to succeed and it just takes some players a little longer than others.

I know the Orioles website has his slider looking slurvey. Not good considering he's been around. I think this is the year where he either comes through or is relegated to an after thought. That seems fair. This year and no more.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by adonijah1510 » April 4th, 2013, 10:39 am

This is for sure the season he needs to perform to his potential. I hope he does hate to see guys not make it.
adonijah1510
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by ofahn » April 4th, 2013, 10:48 am

adonijah1510 wrote:This is for sure the season he needs to perform to his potential. I hope he does hate to see guys not make it.

Parker's not the only guy in our system that needs to step up this year. Guys like Brendan Webb, BOBBY Bundy, Jason Esposito, Michael Ohlman, nick Demonico ALL need to show that they're elite prospects or they're going to end up watching other player move ahead of them on the road to Baltimore.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by adonijah1510 » April 17th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Parker looking like he has improved through his first 3 starts. Dropped his BB/9 to 2.9 and has raised his SO/9 to 8.0. Only trouble he seems to have still in Delmarva is getting out lefties who are hitting. 296 with all 4 ER's he's given up this season and 6 out of the 8 runs he's allowed. Righties are only hitting .152 with 2 runs allowed none earned. If he can just get his lefty numbers down im seeing a nice improvement from last season with walks down K's up and no homers allowed so far.
adonijah1510
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by ofahn » April 17th, 2013, 8:02 pm

adonijah1510 wrote:Parker looking like he has improved through his first 3 starts. Dropped his BB/9 to 2.9 and has raised his SO/9 to 8.0. Only trouble he seems to have still in Delmarva is getting out lefties who are hitting. 296 with all 4 ER's he's given up this season and 6 out of the 8 runs he's allowed. Righties are only hitting .152 with 2 runs allowed none earned. If he can just get his lefty numbers down im seeing a nice improvement from last season with walks down K's up and no homers allowed so far.

Do you have an opinion as to whether he's had poor pitch selection or location?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » April 18th, 2013, 2:46 am

ofahn wrote:
Parker's not the only guy in our system that needs to step up this year. Guys like Brendan Webb, BOBBY Bundy, Jason Esposito, Michael Ohlman, nick Demonico ALL need to show that they're elite prospects or they're going to end up watching other player move ahead of them on the road to Baltimore.

Not calling you out as being wrong ofahn, but that statement implies there is talent behind them. I do not know that to be the case. I say that as so far into the minor league season, there is plenty of disappointment at each level to count. Success, not so much.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by ofahn » April 18th, 2013, 8:01 am

Old Sneakers wrote:
Not calling you out as being wrong ofahn, but that statement implies there is talent behind them. I do not know that to be the case. I say that as so far into the minor league season, there is plenty of disappointment at each level to count. Success, not so much.

I'm not sure of your point, but there's a big difference between talent (potential) and results.

So far this season players like Bridwell http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... idwe001par Delmonico http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... lmon000nic Adrian Marin http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... rin-000adr Josh Hader http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... der-000jos Christian Walker http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... lker002chr Zachary Davies http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... vies000zac have all played well and may be taking the next step.

If we're going to build a long term winner we'll need to build a farm system stocked from bottom to top with LEGITIMATE ML prospects. Every year we need to have two or three quality young players ready to win a spot on the roster or be available to trade for an important piece.

Right now we have two elite prospects (Bundy and Gausman) and one top prospect (Schoop). After that it's pretty thin, which is why it's so important that we turn the talent in our system into legitimate players. It's also the reason that i don't see this team as a finished product and, if we're still playing in July like we are now, we should think about trading Hardy and Jim Johnson for a bundle of quality prospects.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » April 19th, 2013, 4:36 am

ofahn wrote:ALL need to show that they're elite prospects or they're going to end up watching other player move ahead of them on the road to Baltimore.

This was the key sentence I was focused upon. The players you listed playing for the Shorebirds may or may not have real upside. Guessing whether or not they get promoted to Frederick and pass anyone next season is where I am coming from. Yes, they are off to solid starts to the season but that is a very small sample size so far.

Sometimes it's a six year process getting to the major leagues. Then, sadly for many it's for very short stints.

I agree though, each draft the team needs as many high upside players as it can get making it's farm system as strong as possible. To me, if you wanted Baltimore to emulate anyone it would be Tampa Bay. They seem to have a great system and ability to groom players that really turn out to be something. Then they keep whom they want and part with those not in their plans. Baltimore will have no choice but get more talent out of each draft if they ever want to have a sustained winner.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by ofahn » April 19th, 2013, 7:55 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Baltimore will have no choice but get more talent out of each draft if they ever want to have a sustained winner.

Another method would be to use every dollar available to them for signing international talent.

For the first time in several years we'll field two teams in the Dominican Summer League. If we're aggressive in signing the best talent our money can buy under the new signing cap then both of those teams could send three to five solid prospects to our GCL team EACH year which would improve the talent at every level in our farm system in less than five years.

Think of it as being able to draft an extra five or so HS players each year between the third and about the tenth round.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by pickoffmove26 » May 7th, 2013, 4:14 pm

On one hand this is where he needs to show that he is far and away past ready for promotion to Frederick. He turns 22 this season and as you said, this is his third go round in the SAL. Either the kid can pitch and is a legitimate prospect or he's minor league fodder to me.

I have seen this kid and looked at his numbers, with as high as the management seems to be on him, maybe it's time to consider a role as a reliever and see if he can be useful there. 32 career starts in delmarva and hasn't had much success. His numbers are dismal. Here's his Career in Delmarva --- | 6.03 ERA | 165.2 IP | 173 H | 111 ER | 17 HR | 16 HBP | 87 BB | 117 SO |
pickoffmove26
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #12 by ofahn » May 7th, 2013, 5:19 pm

pickoffmove26 wrote: maybe it's time to consider a role as a reliever

Because of his age I think he'll get the entire season to prove he can be a successful SP; however, if he can't I would expect that start next season in the bullpen.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by osforlife » June 12th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Parker Bridwell has a not so pretty 6.22 ERA. But, the numbers show he is making progress.
HR/9 is down from 1.2 to 0.5.
BB/9 is down from 5.0 to 4.4.
SO/9 is up from 5.6 to 8.8.
His 3.58 FIP suggests he should be pitching much better than what he is currently doing.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #14 by ofahn » June 13th, 2013, 12:53 pm

osforlife wrote:Parker Bridwell has a not so pretty 6.22 ERA. But, the numbers show he is making progress.
HR/9 is down from 1.2 to 0.5.
BB/9 is down from 5.0 to 4.4.
SO/9 is up from 5.6 to 8.8.
His 3.58 FIP suggests he should be pitching much better than what he is currently doing.

From what I've read he's being more aggressive in the strike zone, but his command isn't what it should be and he's giving up big hits. I'm hoping it will all come together for him because he has the talent to move through the system quickly if he does.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » June 18th, 2013, 4:38 pm

ofahn wrote:
From what I've read he's being more aggressive in the strike zone, but his command isn't what it should be and he's giving up big hits. I'm hoping it will all come together for him because he has the talent to move through the system quickly if he does.

He must have read the last few comments because he finally had a dominant outing again. Let's hope he has figured things out and can finish the year well.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Minor Leagues