Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

A six man rotation in The Minors

A six man rotation in The Minors

PostPost #1 by thezeroes » March 29th, 2013, 7:29 am

An article by Steve Melewski on the MASN web site:
http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... teams.html
makes the suggestion/reason that the Orioles will be going to a six man rotation in the minors and it may reach as high as AA. With Rick Peterson in charge it would seem that a "Direction" of MiLB pitchers is established and will be followed through with the larger emphasis placed on education instead of just pitching in games and winning. I found it a good read
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

Re: A six man rotation in The Minors

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » March 30th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Points! For a good post and finding the odd first rate Steve Melewski article.

It's worth reading folks. We all know that fifth day of rest is important. Also we are all excited about Rick Peterson working with our arms in the minor leagues.

*Tidbits included*
Rick Peterson working with players during situational bullpens (HUGE).
Managing a fifth day of rest in the majors.
Several pitchers had little to no flaws in their deliveries.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by thezeroes » March 30th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:It's worth reading folks

Thank You! I had heard/read that the Orioles had an interest in having more "Bullpens" for the younger pitchers and was wondering if they were only going to use them in Rookie/Low A. As Steve pointed out in his article, this implementation extending to AA would enhance the learning curve of the younger pitchers while also controlling their innings. (Gausman/Bundy).
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by ofahn » April 2nd, 2013, 9:12 am

What concerns me about a six man rotation is that it doesn't allow our SPs to build up their innings, which could slow down their progress through the farm system. I'm also concerned that the pitchers will know that they have an extra day's rest coming and decide that they can afford to nibble some more and build their pitch counts. IMO 100 pitches in five innings is not a good start or development.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by thezeroes » April 2nd, 2013, 12:05 pm

ofahn wrote:What concerns me about a six man rotation is that it doesn't allow our SPs to build up their innings, which could slow down their progress through the farm system. I'm also concerned that the pitchers will know that they have an extra day's rest coming and decide that they can afford to nibble some more and build their pitch counts. IMO 100 pitches in five innings is not a good start or development.

As the article/blog had stated, they will end up throwing two bullpens between starts. Most of the articles that I have read over the years about Rick Petersen is that he counts EVERY pitch that his stable of pitchers throw. This would seem to include the bullpens and warm ups.

I think that this is also a way of controlling the thrown pitches by the younger members of the staffs. I also would like to point out that even in the Majors it is seldom that a pitcher will start out the year pitching every fifth day over the 162 game schedule. With the off days and pitchers staying in rotation the get several starts with an added day of rest.

My concern would be if the quality of the starts does not get pushed more. I would hope that the side bullpens would enhance the quality of each start and also lengthen those starts to include more innings with less pitches per inning. Time will tell. I also did not see as to where this would extend all season so that is also to be monitored.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » April 2nd, 2013, 12:27 pm

It's exciting to have a guru like Peterson working with our young arms. Wonder if he can get Gausman to improve his curveball?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Minor Leagues