Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Delmonico to 3rd...Esposito to 1st

Delmonico to 3rd...Esposito to 1st

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » March 25th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Obviously the Orioles want to increase Delmonico's value by having him try 3rd but I think they need to just decide and let him go. I would have put him in RF and just let him possibly become the RF after Markakis.

Esposito's strength was his plus ability at 3rd. So its surprising.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Delmonico to 3rd...Esposito to 1st

PostPost #2 by docjj » March 28th, 2013, 9:15 am

Especially surprising since he can't hit a lick!
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by ofahn » March 28th, 2013, 12:40 pm

docjj wrote:Especially surprising since he can't hit a lick!

Esposito may be another Conner Narron.

Both of these guys were over slot draft picks that thought natural talent would allow them to stroll through the minors on their way to an All Star career in the majors. Their first years were affected by their indifferent attitudes, and the results showed.

Connor finally woke up last year and accepted that he might actually have to work hard to get anywhere. Maybe Esposito will come to the same realization.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » March 28th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Delmonico has talent, but still a project requiring development. I still have hopes for him.

Esposito was more of a reach and wishful thinking that if he pays off will be a long ways down the road. Personally I would like to see Esposito back in Delmarva. Working on drawing walks and overall batting but that seems unlikely with Christian Walker getting drafted last year. My guess is Esposito proves he's got something this season or he's minor league fodder and not any kind of prospect.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by osforlife » March 28th, 2013, 7:18 pm

What minor league level are they playing at? Nick Delmonico deserves to move on to Frederick, while Jason Esposito needs more time in Delmarva. Esposito had 26 errors, a .537 OPS, and an incident with a fan. Delmonico can project to be a solid bat but he needs to find a position, while Esposito needs to just pull everything together.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » March 28th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Delmonico most likely will be in Frederick. Not sure if they will bump up Esposito or not. I want to see what Christian Walker does in the SAL this year.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by ofahn » March 28th, 2013, 10:57 pm

osforlife wrote:Esposito needs to just pull everything together

...or his head out of his a**.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » March 29th, 2013, 8:28 am

I thought Christian Walker was a 1st basemen. If Delmonico is in Frederick, while Walker and Esposito are in Delmarva, why is Esposito moving to 1st base?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 29th, 2013, 9:14 am

osforlife wrote:I thought Christian Walker was a 1st basemen. If Delmonico is in Frederick, while Walker and Esposito are in Delmarva, why is Esposito moving to 1st base?

I could see Walker beginning the year with Frederick.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #10 by ofahn » March 29th, 2013, 10:49 am

osforlife wrote:why is Esposito moving to 1st base?

I can see this as a message by the organization to Esposito that, if he can't PROPERLY handle 3B, he wasn't going to be trusted with it. That approach worked with Narron, maybe it will work with Esposito, too.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Old Sneakers » March 29th, 2013, 12:33 pm

To my thinking though, messages like that also represent messages to area scouts and cross checkers.

You can't expect Mickey Mantle results from any prospect when you draft them. However, doing well in the SAL (Low A) is a must!
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by ofahn » March 29th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:messages like that also represent messages to area scouts and cross checkers

I'm not sure of the point you were making.

I'm sure that scouts from other organizations saw the same poor level of play from him last year that we did, so it's not like we were hiding anything from anyone.

IMO messages like that re just as important to the rest of the players in our farm system as they are to the player in question.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Old Sneakers » March 29th, 2013, 4:05 pm

ofahn wrote:
I'm not sure of the point you were making.

I'm sure that scouts from other organizations saw the same poor level of play from him last year that we did, so it's not like we were hiding anything from anyone.

IMO messages like that re just as important to the rest of the players in our farm system as they are to the player in question.

Was referring to people within the Orioles organization. We know a few people got moved around following DD getting hired. What I suspect is that even more people will come under scrutiny as time goes on.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » March 29th, 2013, 8:40 pm

My beef with moving Delmonico again is that they should have decided he was going to play 3rd and let him develop. Instead they started moving him around, 1st and OF. I would have put him in RF and let his bat get him to the MLs in 3 years, hoping that you end up with at least an average defender out there.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » April 9th, 2013, 12:11 pm

I like Delmonico's upside and moving him around is not that big a deal. RF or LF is usually the last stop for position switchers 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Next

Return to Minor Leagues