Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Hobgood

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #16 by Old Sneakers » April 12th, 2013, 11:58 pm

Not sure if anyone noticed it or not, but Matt Hobgood had another scoreless appearance tonight.

3 Innings Pitched, 1 Hit, 0 Runs, 0 Earned Runs, 0 Walks, 3 Strike Outs, 4 Ground Outs /0 Fly Outs.

Needless to say he's off to a fine start to the season and it's already generating some hope in my eyes. I forget where, but I had read that in his previous appearance he hit 93mph. If that is true then his velocity is back. If he can stay healthy and build up innings... OMG, he may well put himself right back on the prospect map. I know I'll be watching his season continue.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #17 by ofahn » April 13th, 2013, 9:55 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed it or not, but Matt Hobgood had another scoreless appearance tonight.

Actually, I did. I started checking the box scores for our farm teams about a nano second and a half after JONES DROPPED THE BALL, AGAIN!!!

Of course, he is 23 and this is low A ball. but it's certainly encouraging. IMO, he needs to have the same kind of results over at least 50 innings at Frederick to be seriously considered as a prospect again.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by Rising O's » April 13th, 2013, 11:45 am

Good to know. He's got a ways to go but the 3 innings is an encouraging sign.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #19 by adonijah1510 » April 13th, 2013, 8:45 pm

Hobgood looks very in shape and confident on the mound I've seen him pitch twice this yeaar so far. He impressed me both times including!! His first appearance in which he pitched in a hail storm. Also the second time I saw him his pitches we picking up 2 MPH. Good stuff so far we'll see what happens when he steps up to some tougher batters in Fredrick or Bowie.
adonijah1510
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 8

PostPost #20 by ofahn » May 8th, 2013, 2:19 pm

If he continues to pitch the way he has been a June 1st promotion to Frederick would certainly be warranted.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » May 8th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Steve Melewski wrote a nice piece on Hobgood today in MASN. Orioles say he is staying in this role right now and hope his velocity picks up more. He is learning how to pitch and pitch effectively
http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... r-now.html 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #22 by Old Sneakers » May 9th, 2013, 3:52 am

ofahn wrote:If he continues to pitch the way he has been a June 1st promotion to Frederick would certainly be warranted.

I suspect they hold him back and keep him on the Shorebirds roster beyond that. They want to keep him healthy a full season and get as much arm strength back as possible. I am with you that he's old for Delmarva at this point. However, it's encouraging to see him playing well and doing a solid job in his current role. All we really know is that he wants to play and succeed. Time lost to injury is what it is. End of the year I see him getting bumped up to Frederick. He does well then, they will re-evaluate him next spring training and could move up quickly. Main thing is good healthy for now.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #23 by ofahn » May 9th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:
I suspect they hold him back and keep him on the Shorebirds roster beyond that. They want to keep him healthy a full season and get as much arm strength back as possible. I am with you that he's old for Delmarva at this point. However, it's encouraging to see him playing well and doing a solid job in his current role. All we really know is that he wants to play and succeed. Time lost to injury is what it is. End of the year I see him getting bumped up to Frederick. He does well then, they will re-evaluate him next spring training and could move up quickly. Main thing is good healthy for now.

I understand your POV, but I don't see where innings at Frederick would be any greater threat to his physical recovery than Delmarva.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Old Sneakers » May 9th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Couple reasons.

1- Let him face the same batters 2-3 times. See if they adjust to him. If there is a weak point to his game I would favor it worked out in the SAL

2- His current role suits him right where he's at (For now). If he gets promoted and has any sort of setback or gets batted around too much then it's the whole confidence thing. Or "he just doesn't have it" thing.

I'm not saying keep him in Delmarva all season if he looks good through July. Post all star break I hope he is promoted to Frederick. You can totally call me over cautious here. I want the team to get something out of him. He, gets through this season injury free and looks strong next season his development can be more aggressive.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #25 by ofahn » May 9th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Couple reasons.

1- Let him face the same batters 2-3 times. See if they adjust to him.

By June 1st he will probably have done that.

Old Sneakers wrote:2- His current role suits him right where he's at (For now).

I agree, except I would allow him to do it at the next level. IMO if he can't handle A+ hitting at this point we need to be realistic about his future.

Old Sneakers wrote:I'm not saying keep him in Delmarva all season if he looks good through July. Post all star break I hope he is promoted to Frederick. You can totally call me over cautious here. I want the team to get something out of him. He, gets through this season injury free and looks strong next season his development can be more aggressive.

Hobgood knows how many birthdays he's had and how far from the ML he is. I just think we need to allow him to have some success at a higher level to give him the confidence that he's still on a path to the majors.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by A_K » May 17th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Biggest thing he's got going for him is that the velocity is ticking back up.

In my mind, the best case scenario for him is just to make it through the season, building up his innings and velocity, without suffering an injury or set back.

Then they can go into next spring training treating him as a starter for one last time. If you start him at Frederick, he's only a couple promotions away from the bigs if things go well. If he falters again, it's back to the bullpen for one last chance to succeed.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #27 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 17th, 2013, 1:05 pm

A_K wrote:Biggest thing he's got going for him is that the velocity is ticking back up.

In my mind, the best case scenario for him is just to make it through the season, building up his innings and velocity, without suffering an injury or set back.

Then they can go into next spring training treating him as a starter for one last time. If you start him at Frederick, he's only a couple promotions away from the bigs if things go well. If he falters again, it's back to the bullpen for one last chance to succeed.

He posted on Twitter last night that he hit 97. A great sign.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #28 by ofahn » May 17th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:He posted on Twitter last night that he hit 97. A great sign.

I've noticed that with the increase in velocity has come a modest decrease in command. He needs to find an effective compromise. Being able to command a 93 or 94 MPH FB can be devastating IF you can also command an 83 MPH change up.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by A_K » May 17th, 2013, 3:58 pm

ofahn wrote:
I've noticed that with the increase in velocity has come a modest decrease in command. He needs to find an effective compromise. Being able to command a 93 or 94 MPH FB can be devastating IF you can also command an 83 MPH change up.

(Just jumping in here with a general point, not necessarily directed at your post.)

I've noticed a common exchange on Twitter and on blogs recently pertaining to velocity. I think there are two groups of people who are largely talking past each other on the topic.

There's one group of people who mention someone's velocity when it's surprisingly low or surprisingly high. Another group, Roch Kubatko (who I admittedly don't like at all) included, often replies that guys can be successful at reduced velocity, if they exchange it for better command or learn how to effectively vary speeds.

But those two points-- a pitcher's velocity is irregular, and velocity isn't the sole determinant of success-- don't actually have anything to do with each other.

Often, people use velocity as a proxy for health. If a guy experiences a decrease in velocity for no foreseen reason, it's often seen as a reasonable indication that he's unhealthy. So if someone points out that Tillman's fastball has fallen from 92 to 88, they're saying we should be aware that there may be something wrong with his arm, or that he's at least not bringing his best stuff to the mound that day. Responding to that point by bringing up Greg Maddux's success without a dominant fastball makes very little sense.

Similarly, the fact that Hobgood touched 97 mph last night is important, but not because anyone should believe he needs to throw that hard to be a good MLB pitcher. Hobgood used to throw that hard regularly. Then he started pitching much slower, with no explanation. Then we found out he was having shoulder problems. Then he had major surgery and lost a year and a half. Now he's throwing hard again.

People are using his velocity as a proxy measurement for how healthy his arm is. As a groundball pitcher, he could do really well at 94 mph, or even 91 or 92. And as he grows as a pitcher, maybe he'll trade velocity for command, and settle into a much lower average fastball speed. Maybe he'll reserve his 97 mph gas for certain moments, or maybe we'll only see it if he becomes a one-inning reliever, like Tommy Hunter. There are all kinds of possibilities that could develop with his velocity as he develops as a pitcher and learns how to get people out. But none of that has anything to do with why it's important that he threw 97 mph last night.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #30 by Old Sneakers » May 17th, 2013, 5:47 pm

For my thinking Command/Control/Movement are the big factors. Velocity is sweet do not doubt that a guy able to dial it up when needed is useful as well when it comes to screwing up a batters timing. However Jamie Moyer never had fantastic velocity and had a great career.

Command of the strike zone. Control of your pitches. Pitches with good movement.

Certainly 97mph is impressive. Hobgood (and just about everyone else) staying healthy is the bigger factor.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Minor Leagues