Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #37: Caleb Joseph

ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #37: Caleb Joseph

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 19th, 2012, 1:43 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/12/18/to ... eb-joseph/

The Orioles selected Caleb Joseph in the 7th round of the 2008 MLB Draft. He signed quickly and made his pro debut that year with the IronBirds.

Joseph has started each of the last three seasons with the Baysox, and in 2012 finally progressed enough, both offensively and defensively, to earn a promotion to Norfolk.

2013 Top 50 List
37. Caleb Joseph
38. Mark Blackmar
39. Sebastian Vader
40. Matt Price
41. Oliver Drake
42. Hector Veloz
43. Wynston Sawyer
44. Matt Bywater
45. Ryan Berry
46. Tyler Kelly
47. Zach Clark
48. Mychal Givens
49. Ashur Tolliver
50. Brady Wager
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #37: Caleb Joseph

PostPost #2 by ofahn » December 21st, 2012, 5:19 pm

I haven't had a chance to see him play so I can't offer any personal observations on this, but Joseph just doesn't seem to have the confidence of the organization. He's old (he'll be playing at age 27 in 2013) for a prospect and apparently hasn't shown the team enough to even be considered as a backup on the big team. The Orioles might have traded him by now except that they don't have much in upper level catching and the player that might have taken his place, Brian Ward, was suspended for 50 games last year.

With Michael Ohlman finally starting to move up that ladder I wouldn't be surprised to see Caleb Joseph a member of another organization next year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 21st, 2012, 5:21 pm

ofahn wrote:With Michael Ohlman finally starting to move up that ladder I wouldn't be surprised to see Caleb Joseph a member of another organization next year.

I think that's what's best for him, too. Ward is probably a step ahead of him and his best chance at a back up job is elsewhere.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by ofahn » December 21st, 2012, 5:31 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Ward is probably a step ahead of him

It's my understanding that Ward is a plus catch and throw guy, but he needs to improve his hitting. With Wieters behind the plate our backup C will only get about 75 to 100 ABs. Even so, he'll need to be able to produce an OPS of at least .650 or so.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by TuckerS » January 5th, 2013, 11:07 pm

My opinion is that all moves considered Joseph is not near the guy to replace if Teagarden falls to injury, as Ward is ahead of him and Luis Martinez, Luis Exposito, and Chris Robinson are also in the mix
TuckerS
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #6 by osforlife » January 6th, 2013, 10:37 am

One or two backup catchers will be released after Spring Training IMO. Obviously, we need all the catchers we need for ST, but after that, we have Luis Martinez, Luis Exposito, Caleb Joseph, and Chris Robinson slated to go to AAA. Wieters will catch 120-130 games, and Teagarden will be the major league backup. I'd release/trade/demote Robinson and Exposito at the end of Spring Training.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by ofahn » January 6th, 2013, 10:42 am

osforlife wrote:One or two backup catchers will be released after Spring Training IMO. Obviously, we need all the catchers we need for ST, but after that, we have Luis Martinez, Luis Exposito, Caleb Joseph, and Chris Robinson slated to go to AAA. Wieters will catch 120-130 games, and Teagarden will be the major league backup. I'd release/trade/demote Robinson and Exposito at the end of Spring Training.

I can see at least Exposito being DFA'd near the end of ST. There's a two or three day period at that point where lots of fringe players are released or put on waivers at about the same time. Consequently, many of them make it through without being claimed and their teams have the ability to assign them to the minors. Even those players that have the option of declaring themselves a free agent often don't because most minor league rosters are full at that point and there's no place for them to go.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by TuckerS » January 6th, 2013, 7:40 pm

osforlife wrote:One or two backup catchers will be released after Spring Training IMO. Obviously, we need all the catchers we need for ST, but after that, we have Luis Martinez, Luis Exposito, Caleb Joseph, and Chris Robinson slated to go to AAA. Wieters will catch 120-130 games, and Teagarden will be the major league backup. I'd release/trade/demote Robinson and Exposito at the end of Spring Training.
I think what will happen is Exposito and Martinez stay on the 40 man but Exposito may very well go to AA to be a back up to Ward and I could see the Tides carrying three catchers in Joseph, Robinson and Martinez as one of them could play some first down there
TuckerS
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Minor Leagues