Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #40: Matt Price

ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #40: Matt Price

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 27th, 2012, 10:11 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/11/27/to ... att-price/

The Orioles drafted Matt Price in the 7th round of the 2012 MLB draft and gave him a slot bonus of $149,300. If healthy, Price would have been sent to the GCL for a few games followed by more innings at Aberdeen. However, a right shoulder injury kept price out of game action in the GCL.

“His physical wasn’t completely clean and they are being overly cautious,” Orioles scouting director Gary Rajsich said. “I’m not saying that is anything out of the ordinary, it is just a pitcher with a lot of wear and tear."

2013 Top 50 List
40. Matt Price
41. Oliver Drake
42. Hector Veloz
43. Wynston Sawyer
44. Matt Bywater
45. Ryan Berry
46. Tyler Kelly
47. Zach Clark
48. Mychal Givens
49. Ashur Tolliver
50. Brady Wager
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #40: Matt Price

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » November 27th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Good write up!

I cannot wait to see what we have in this young man.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by ofahn » November 29th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Based on his scouting report he looks like he has the upside of a #3 SP on a good team IF he can

1) maintain the speed difference between his FB and change up
2) make those two pitches look the same coming out of his hand
3) show a consistent ability to get into the Seventh Inning

Pitchers with his skill set can be consistent ML winners by keeping batters off balance. His ceiling will probably be determined by how far into a game he can get.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » November 29th, 2012, 4:12 pm

ofahn wrote:3) show a consistent ability to get into the Seventh Inning

My God sir! That is the recipe for any pitcher. LOL!!!!

Honestly these days, If they can get into the sixth and the ballgame is still in question then to me a player is a legit SP.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 29th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:
My God sir! That is the recipe for any pitcher. LOL!!!!

Honestly these days, If they can get into the sixth and the ballgame is still in question then to me a player is a legit SP.

No question, but I added that caveat as the qualification for being a ML #3 SP.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 29th, 2012, 10:26 pm

ofahn wrote:Based on his scouting report he looks like he has the upside of a #3 SP on a good team IF he can

1) maintain the speed difference between his FB and change up
2) make those two pitches look the same coming out of his hand
3) show a consistent ability to get into the Seventh Inning

Pitchers with his skill set can be consistent ML winners by keeping batters off balance. His ceiling will probably be determined by how far into a game he can get.

I don't think he'll even get the chance to start. I believe the team sees him strictly as a reliever, even more so that he was hurt, and he'll be pushed through the minors in that role.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 29th, 2012, 10:34 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I don't think he'll even get the chance to start. I believe the team sees him strictly as a reliever, even more so that he was hurt, and he'll be pushed through the minors in that role.

I can understand why they would do that but I would see it as a mistake to to not give him at least a chance (15 starts) to show he can be a starter. I mean, we already have lots of relievers ahead of him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by heywood63 » November 30th, 2012, 8:13 am

He played a huge part in South Carolina's run in the college world series. He wanted to be a starter his last year in college and he started out that way, but he wasn't nearly as effective. He was moved back to the closer's role after a few starts and was his usual dominating self. Good slider and his fastball was clocked as high as 95 but sat mostly in the 91-93 zone.
heywood63
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #9 by ofahn » November 30th, 2012, 8:21 am

heywood63 wrote:He played a huge part in South Carolina's run in the college world series. He wanted to be a starter his last year in college and he started out that way, but he wasn't nearly as effective. He was moved back to the closer's role after a few starts and was his usual dominating self. Good slider and his fastball was clocked as high as 95 but sat mostly in the 91-93 zone.

Thanks for the scouting report. It sounds like he really is best suited for the bullpen.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on earning your first Reputation Point.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues