Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

John Sickels Orioles Top 20 Prospects

John Sickels Orioles Top 20 Prospects

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 11th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Rankings
1) Manny Machado, SS, Grade A-
2) Zach Britton, LHP, Grade B+
3) Dan Klein, RHP, Grade B-
4) Mycal Givens, SS, Grade B-
5) Xavier Avery, OF, Grade C+
6) L.J. Hoes, 2B, Grade C+
7) Jonathan Schoop, SS, Grade C+
8) Ryan Adams, INF, Grade C+
9) Ryan Berry, RHP, Grade C+
10) Wynn Pelzer, RHP, Grade C+
11) Joseph Mahoney, 1B, Grade C+
12) Tyler Townsend, 1B, Grade C+
13) Matt Hobgood, RHP, Grade C+
14) Brandon Cooney, RHP, Grade C+
15) Bobby Bundy, RHP, Grade C+
16) Connor Narron, SS, Grade C+
17) Brandon Waring, 3B, Grade C
18) Eddie Gamboa, RHP, Grade C
19) Jarrett Martin, LHP, Grade C
20) Trent Mummey, OF, Grade C

View Sickels' comments here.

Thoughts to come...
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: John Sickels Orioles Top 20 Prospects

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » December 11th, 2010, 9:35 pm

I am not sure why the omission of Matt Angle, who the O's protected on the 40 man roster. Think I would have had him on in place of Gamboa. I know you like Schoop, but I think 7 is a little high for him.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by DougDE » December 12th, 2010, 7:35 am

Wow Dan Klein's that good huh? That certainly ups my excitement level for him. Where do people think he will pitch this year?
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 12th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I am not sure why the omission of Matt Angle, who the O's protected on the 40 man roster. Think I would have had him on in place of Gamboa. I know you like Schoop, but I think 7 is a little high for him.

Agreed. Sickels did add Angle onto the preliminary list, though. The scouting reports on Schoop are all good, and the stats back it up. There's a good case for him to be #7 but I know I would not have him up that high.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 12th, 2010, 4:57 pm

DougDE wrote:Wow Dan Klein's that good huh? That certainly ups my excitement level for him. Where do people think he will pitch this year?

He has good stuff. The questions surrounding him are health issues and whether he's a starter or bullpen piece.

I would not be surprised to see him open the season with the Keys but Delmarva seems more likely. He could mirror Ryan Berry's season.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Don » December 12th, 2010, 5:47 pm

As I said on the preliminary report, it is a good thing that some bigger names do not make the top 20. I mean Coffey, Wircsh, Henry, Beal, Berry outside of the top 20 is saying this organization has done a great job finding talent in the last three drafts.

My thoughts are thinking the best arm in this organization is ranked 15th. I know Britton is the best pitcher, but Bundy by far has the biggest ceiling in this system and he is the 7th ranked pitcher. Geez this is good to hear.... I would not look at grades either because most of these C+ players are guys with high ceilings. If you look at this list, I see 12 players that could make the Orioles lineup and have an impact and this is only getting better with the draft war room improving.

Klein will be a future mid-late inning guy. He has a great deal of control and above average stuff, but I simply do not see the kid getting through a lineup more than twice. He would be better for the organization giving max effort over one to two innings every third game; I think he would be more effective as a guy out of the pen. I think a better stuff version of Drew Storen is solid comparible.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » December 12th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Don I agree with your assessment. Reality is from 15 to 30 the parts are interchangable. This will be a big year to see who amongst the group you mention steps up and moves themselves to a B prospect.

It will certainly be an interesting year not only at the big league level, but throughout the organization.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 18th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Agreed, Don. The bolded names below could easily jump into the B range next year with a good season:

Matt Angle, OF; Jesse Beal, RHP, Tim Berry, LHP; Parker Bridwell, RHP; Matt Bywater, LHP; Cam Coffee, LHP; Oliver Drake, RHP; Jaime Esquivel, RHP; Randy Henry, RHP; Caleb Joseph, C; Adrian Rosario, RHP; Clay Schrader, RHP; Brandon Snyder, 1B; Ashur Tolliver, LHP; Sebastian Vader, RHP; Ronnie Welty, OF; Aaron Wirsch, LHP.

In fact, I have a few of these guys in my personal top 20. Let's not forget that this is a system who has graduated Jake Arrieta, Matt Wieters, Chris Tillman and Brian Matusz over the past two seasons.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Shorebirdfan » December 18th, 2010, 8:37 pm

DougDE wrote:Wow Dan Klein's that good huh? That certainly ups my excitement level for him. Where do people think he will pitch this year?

I think Klein will begin the season in Frederick. We all know the plan is to make him a starter, and I think that project keeps him there most of the season (if not all of it). If they put him in the pen, I think he moves faster.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Return to Minor Leagues