Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Rule 5 Draft Eligible Players

Rule 5 Draft Eligible Players

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » August 29th, 2012, 11:07 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/08/29/20 ... e-players/

Very good read by Don on players that could be potentially taken in the Rule 5 from the Orioles system.
He provides a quick report on each player listed.

There are plenty of places where you can find the specification of the Rule 5 process. The basic outline of the plan was intended for players to find additional avenues to reach the majors, when a team limits the chances of a player making the parent club. There are three basic principles that make minor league players subjected to this process.

Major League Phase:

1. The minor league player is left unprotected off the the 40 man roster as of November 20th when the roster has to be submitted to the Major league front office.
2. Left unprotected and 4 years of MilB service at age 19 or older. This is typically JC and 4 year college drafted players.
3. Left unprotected and 5 years of MilB service at age 16-18 years. These are typically international free agents and drafted high school seniors.

Minor League Phase:

In addition to the qualification rules of the major league phase, teams can protect 38 players on their AAA roster and 37 players AA.

All teams do a solid job identifying their best prospects and stash away the top 75 players. Usually, it is pitching that is selected at the AAA and AA phases to help with depth.

Below is a list of the higher profile minor league Orioles that could be subjected to their 1st waiver process, if not protected by the Orioles on the 40 man roster before November 20th. I think all fit within the top 75 prospects and should not be subjected to the AAA or AA phase, but stranger things have happened.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Rule 5 Draft Eligible Players

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 29th, 2012, 11:12 am

I have to admit that Tyler Kelly has forced me to like him. I was not entirely high on Kelly at first but he just continues to produce and there is something to say about that. Every time I see him play he is doing something productive. Small things such as moving a runner over, taking a close pitch for a ball, etc. Those things do NOT go unnoticed. His versatility alone is a nice asset. Don pretty much said everything else needed about him. He's a great guy to have in the organization, and I would not be surprised if a team took a flier on him honestly.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #3 by mcpd » August 29th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Not a bad list of players. It will be interesting to see who the Orioles keep.
mcpd
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » September 1st, 2012, 12:00 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I have to admit that Tyler Kelly has forced me to like him.

You know they say the first step in overcoming a problem is admitting that you have a problem. Setp one complete.

It's ok to be a Ty Kelly fan. :P
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » September 2nd, 2012, 8:57 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:
You know they say the first step in overcoming a problem is admitting that you have a problem. Setp one complete.

It's ok to be a Ty Kelly fan. :P

Ha!
I am excited to see him one last time this year when I head down to Bowie Tuesday for the playoffs.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #6 by Don » September 6th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Add Mike Belfiore to the Rule 5 list, side tracked my mind that he was 2009 draft pick...for some odd reason I had 2010 locked in my mind, but ah well.

Mike is a very talented two pitch lefty that at least has the arsenal to be a LOOGY in a number of parent clubs. His command wavers at times and would need to tighten for the Orioles to protect him. This is maybe the biggest test for the Orioles uniform. He has to show a solid mix that can routinely display in the bottom of the zone with late life. He has the foundation for the Orioles to place him on the 40 man, but can easily be left off. I would put his type on the "biggest bet to be picked"if left on the AAA roster. You can never have enough lefties and he can get them out. If he could go to a bigger park that could live with the one mistake long fly ball, he could stick on a major league roster. If he can continuing to improve his FB command, he could profile in the Orioles plans. Arizona is a big test for him this fall.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » September 6th, 2012, 4:36 pm

Don wrote:Add Mike Belfiore to the Rule 5 list, side tracked my mind that he was 2009 draft pick...for some odd reason I had 2010 locked in my mind, but ah well.

Mike is a very talented two pitch lefty that at least has the arsenal to be a LOOGY in a number of parent clubs. His command wavers at times and would need to tighten for the Orioles to protect him. This is maybe the biggest test for the Orioles uniform. He has to show a solid mix that can routinely display in the bottom of the zone with late life. He has the foundation for the Orioles to place him on the 40 man, but can easily be left off. I would put his type on the "biggest bet to be picked"if left on the AAA roster. You can never have enough lefties and he can get them out. If he could go to a bigger park that could live with the one mistake long fly ball, he could stick on a major league roster. If he can continuing to improve his FB command, he could profile in the Orioles plans. Arizona is a big test for him this fall.

Command was a little shaky last night in the game. I look forward to seeing how he does in the AFL.
I think he could be left off simply due to the O's having a few LOOGY type guys already. Of course, the argument where you can never have enough lefties also works.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Return to Minor Leagues