Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Goldstein on Machado

Goldstein on Machado

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » August 7th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Manny Machado, SS, Orioles (Double-A Bowie): 2-for-3, R, RBI, BB.

Bryce Harper and Mike Trout has been among the best things in baseball this year. For prospect people, they've been among the worst as they've created ridiculous expectations for every prospect in baseball. Manny Machado is 20 years old, more than holding his own at Double-A, and people yawn because Trout and Harper.
Those are the outliers, the players we frankly learn absolutely nothing from. What Machado is doing is really impressive, and by going 14-for-27 in his last seven games, he's hitting .265/.347/.427, and again, that's really impressive. Forget about Harper and Trout. They haven't changed what we should expect from prospects, and Machado really is having an impressive year.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=17929

What i have been preaching all year.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Goldstein on Machado

PostPost #2 by Don » August 7th, 2012, 12:57 pm

That is what I have being trying to preach to the masses since I popped my head out behind the curtain.

Even when players fail, it does not spell "gloom & doom". You just want to see some systematic improvements in a players approach to the game. Minors are about learning to become better players through some way, shape, or mean. Some go through a system in gang buster fashion and others can take time to build themselves into a career path.

Hoes and Avery are examples of the later, some guys may take a bit of time to groom into someone that can help the parent club. Bundy is an example of the lighting quick type. He is going to see less than two years of MiLB service before his first taste in the majors.

These are the "rarest of the rare" exceptions. You should never judge someone else using another players measuring stick, why I am also not a big fan of "comps".
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » August 7th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Don wrote:That is what I have being trying to preach to the masses since I popped my head out behind the curtain.

Indeed.
I think most of it comes from the hype and all the off-season talk about how he is the next coming of Cal Ripken, etc.

But as someone whom has seen him play a ton this year, he's been very impressive.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by ofahn » August 7th, 2012, 1:32 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:he's been very impressive

In large part because HE'S PLAYING IN AA AT THE AGE OF 20!

If you have any questions please read that last sentence again.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by dan72 » August 7th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Trout and Harper are extremely rare.....They will both go on to be super stars. Ryan Zimmerman comes to mind aslo as a guy that wasn't in the minors very long. Every player progresses at a different rate. Some guys are ready at 19, other guys take longer.
Take Jose Bautista for example, he was an average player in his age 25-28 years. It was not until his age 29 year that he blossomed into a superstar.....Machado will be fine, the issue is with the club losing for 14 years, fans are eager for a star that can lift this team up.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Minor Leagues