Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

When do we take Lew Ford seriously?

When do we take Lew Ford seriously?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » July 21st, 2012, 1:11 am

I know that he's 35 years old and never was a good major league player but he is killing it in AAA. He's now played in 55 games with the Tides and is batting .341/.402/.562 with 10 home runs, 12 doubles, and 3 triples. I'm guessing he won't make the team until September but he sure is making some noise at Norfolk and is an interesting story.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: When do we take Lew Ford seriously?

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » July 21st, 2012, 7:11 am

Lew Ford will never see the light of Baltimore unless it's on his own dime. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » July 21st, 2012, 7:26 am

I think he eventually has to get some time here. I mean most of our roster is AAAA guys now, why not one more.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by osforlife » July 21st, 2012, 10:03 am

We can probably catch some lightning in a bottle with his bat and he is a natural outfielder. So, if Steve Pearce starts to drop off which he already has, I think we could see Lew up.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » July 21st, 2012, 12:28 pm

I'm not sure if I ever will take it seriously. I mean there is a reason he was in independent league to start the season.
At this point I'd actually rather have Pearce to see if he can ever actually produce. If he continues to hit and the Orioles are still in it during the latter part of the year, then yea you probably give him a look.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #6 by Ampontan » July 22nd, 2012, 10:19 am

Matt P wrote:I'm guessing he won't make the team until September...

Doesn't he have to be on the 40-man for that? He's not now.

McLouth has an opt-out clause, they say, so he'd probably get called up first.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by dan72 » July 22nd, 2012, 12:13 pm

His problem is his age. He is so far down the depth chart, maybe in September he gets a look. You have Avery, Hoes, Chavez, Pearce all in front of him.
He is having a nice season though, possible trade material or just keep him for depth.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » July 22nd, 2012, 8:31 pm

dan72 wrote:His problem is his age. He is so far down the depth chart, maybe in September he gets a look. You have Avery, Hoes, Chavez, Pearce all in front of him.
He is having a nice season though, possible trade material or just keep him for depth.

So would you say a big portion depends on where the O's sit come September? I mean when the rosters can expand, you could bring up both Avery and Ford. So if the O's are in contention for a playoff spot do you want Avery (probably the more talented of the two) or do you want Ford (the more experienced player) when the money is on the line?

In the long term, there is no doubt in my mind that Avery will be the better player and there is certainly a lot of upside to getting him in games at the major league level. But in the pressure of September games that mean something, I might want more experience.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #9 by Ampontan » July 23rd, 2012, 5:55 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:So would you say a big portion depends on where the O's sit come September? I mean when the rosters can expand, you could bring up both Avery and Ford.

I'll try one more time. He has to be on the 40-man roster for that, right? He isn't on the 40-man roster now.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #10 by Matt P » July 23rd, 2012, 11:53 am

Yes, he has to be on the 40 man.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Matt P » July 29th, 2012, 1:47 am

It looks like the O's are now taking him seriously as he is going to be called up before the start of Sunday's game according to Roch Kubatko.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues