Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Schoop's defense this year

Schoop's defense this year

PostPost #1 by legmason » July 19th, 2012, 11:56 pm

I don't recall Schoop ever being particularly praised for his defense but his 14 errors so far this year are more than concerning. What's the word on hs defense this year? Are these mostly throwing errors that some patience and coaching could fix and does he stay at second? Does anybody have any insight?
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Re: Schoop's defense this year

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 20th, 2012, 12:10 am

legmason wrote:I don't recall Schoop ever being particularly praised for his defense but his 14 errors so far this year are more than concerning. What's the word on hs defense this year? Are these mostly throwing errors that some patience and coaching could fix and does he stay at second? Does anybody have any insight?

It can be really tough to judge a prospect's defense by their minor league stats. Quite often the infields are poor in quality, the player on the other end of a throw has a questionable glove, and the scorer shows why they're in the minor leagues. For a 2B like Schoop most scouts look at how they position themselves, move to the ball, set up, arm strength, accuracy, and instincts. Everything but the instincts can be taught or practiced.

The Orioles are very fortunate to have Mike Bordick as an instructor. Look for him to work with both Schoop and Machado this year and in ST next year. I would be surprised if Schoop is not at least above league average as a fielder.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 20th, 2012, 12:31 am

ofahn wrote:
It can be really tough to judge a prospect's defense by their minor league stats. Quite often the infields are poor in quality, the player on the other end of a throw has a questionable glove, and the scorer shows why they're in the minor leagues. For a 2B like Schoop most scouts look at how they position themselves, move to the ball, set up, arm strength, accuracy, and instincts. Everything but the instincts can be taught or practiced.

The Orioles are very fortunate to have Mike Bordick as an instructor. Look for him to work with both Schoop and Machado this year and in ST next year. I would be surprised if Schoop is not at least above league average as a fielder.

Another reason for optimism comes from an article Don posted in which he said that one of the most reliable ways to predict future success for an international foreign born prospect is how well they speak English and interact with coaches/teammates (indicates good work ethic) and he stated that Schoop's English and interaction with teammates is positive. I wish I could find the article and I hope I am not misquoting Don but that would be a positive indicator for his "coach-ability" and potential improvement in ALL facets of his game.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » July 20th, 2012, 12:42 am

Important to remember Schoop was very raw. As you guys mentioned, he's a quicker learner and far from perfected yet.

I was actually in process of writing a defensive report on him, but was going to catch another game first.

He's really good with transfers and shows quickness on some plays. Not a great judge of liners and weak flies yet. Arm is above average and he has all the "looks". All abou growth with him.

If/whenever I get around writing about this, I'd obviously go into much more depth.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by Don » July 20th, 2012, 10:52 am

I would not worry one bit, his range is only slightly below fringe for SS and setup could have kept him there. He is slightly too quick and agile for 2B and gets to the ball quickly. It is one of those things that takes some adjusting too and he will eventually get his timing down.

The one concern the team will have with Schoop is getting that turn down and limit wasted motion. This is still a work in progress, but I too think in time it irons itself out.

I see him as a 2B moving forward, not moving back to SS or over to 3B/RF. I allow him to grow into the position, time is on his side and mistakes are a part of minor league growth.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues