Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

BA: Midseason Prospect Reports

BA: Midseason Prospect Reports

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » July 10th, 2012, 9:56 am

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/pro ... d-nl-east/
BA Midseason Prospect Report named the Orioles Best Player, Biggest Leap, and Disappointment.

Best Player: Dylan Bundy
Biggest Leap: Xavier Avery
Disappointment: Brian Ward

I agree on the first two, but I'd give Ward a little slack there. While he probably has been a disappointment, I can name quite a few more players whom have been even worse.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

Re: BA: Midseason Prospect Reports

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » July 10th, 2012, 11:07 am

Just here on the Shore I'd list Esposito and Bridwell as bigger disappointments.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 10th, 2012, 11:18 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:Just here on the Shore I'd list Esposito and Bridwell as bigger disappointments.

agree.
I guess BA sees esposito as a work in progress, since it is his first year. Also heard rumblings that he has been changed mechanically in a few ways and maybe that's why he is off to a disappointing start?
Ward was just touted as a high end defensive catcher. I don't think many thought he'd be knocking the cover off the ball (Although his bat is/should be better than right now. The suspension didn't help)

there is still plenty of time for these guys to all turn it around this season.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 11:30 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/07/midseason-prospect-reports-al-and-nl-east/
BA Midseason Prospect Report named the Orioles Best Player, Biggest Leap, and Disappointment.

Best Player: Dylan Bundy
Biggest Leap: Xavier Avery
Disappointment: Brian Ward

I agree on the first two, but I'd give Ward a little slack there. While he probably has been a disappointment, I can name quite a few more players whom have been even worse.

On my Disappointment List would be:

BOBBY Bundy
Parker Bridwell
Jason Esposito
Dan Klein (because of his injury)
Trent Mummey (again, injury)
Michael Ohlman (again, injury)
Oliver Drake (again, injury)
Tyler Townsend (again, injury)

I'm starting to see a pattern.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » July 10th, 2012, 11:41 am

No different with any other club really.
Just the club is so thin that injuries seem like a much larger problem. At least that is my take.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » July 10th, 2012, 12:57 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:Just here on the Shore I'd list Esposito and Bridwell as bigger disappointments.

agree.
I guess BA sees esposito as a work in progress, since it is his first year. Also heard rumblings that he has been changed mechanically in a few ways and maybe that's why he is off to a disappointing start?

They must have mechanically changed his ability to field a baseball. I don't worry too much about hitting results at this level as hitting mechanics, but fielding is fielding to me. You either can do it or you can't. Jason came in touted as a solid defensive 3B and has been far from it. On the hot corner, I don't even look at the tough plays (bunts while playing back, shots down the line) but routine things that he has missed regularly are becoming the norm, and worst of all, I've seen no improvement.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » July 10th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:

agree.

They must have mechanically changed his ability to field a baseball. I don't worry too much about hitting results at this level as hitting mechanics, but fielding is fielding to me. You either can do it or you can't. Jason came in touted as a solid defensive 3B and has been far from it. On the hot corner, I don't even look at the tough plays (bunts while playing back, shots down the line) but routine things that he has missed regularly are becoming the norm, and worst of all, I've seen no improvement.

Can't argue with that. It's quite weird to see him struggling so much defensively.
Really hope he can improve for next season.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 10th, 2012, 1:10 pm

I honestly never really liked the Esposito pick.

He dragged on the signing process, and around draft time, scouts had doubts as to whether his bat would progress but loved his defense. Now his defense is slipping? This has kind of turned into a mess.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » July 10th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I honestly never really liked the Esposito pick.

He dragged on the signing process, and around draft time, scouts had doubts as to whether his bat would progress but loved his defense. Now his defense is slipping? This has kind of turned into a mess.

Yea, the Orioles have been rather awful with their 2nd round picks recently. Hopefully that changes.
I'm not going to write him off yet. But will need to be better next year. At least needs to show some improvement this second half.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 1:41 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:No different with any other club really.
Just the club is so thin that injuries seem like a much larger problem. At least that is my take.

You're right. I guess I'm really sensitive to it. It's the biggest reason I'm so reluctant to spend any of those few quality prospects we have on a rental player this year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:

agree.

Each day when I read the box scores I begin to wonder if it wouldn't benefit BOTH prospects to have Esposito and Torsten Boss switch teams. Boss deserves the promotion and Aberdeen might be a wake up call for Esposito.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Shorebirdfan » July 10th, 2012, 2:13 pm

ofahn wrote:
Each day when I read the box scores I begin to wonder if it wouldn't benefit BOTH prospects to have Esposito and Torsten Boss switch teams. Boss deserves the promotion and Aberdeen might be a wake up call for Esposito.

Or move Delmonico to 3B. That is his natural position and he would fit well there with his bat. Let Jason try 1B or 2B.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Or move Delmonico to 3B. That is his natural position and he would fit well there with his bat. Let Jason try 1B or 2B.

You've probably seen as much of Delmonico as the rest of us, combined. IYO which position does his glove play best at?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Tucker Blair » July 10th, 2012, 2:19 pm

ofahn wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:Or move Delmonico to 3B. That is his natural position and he would fit well there with his bat. Let Jason try 1B or 2B.

You've probably seen as much of Delmonico as the rest of us, combined. IYO which position does his glove play best at?

I've never seen him at the pro level once.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #15 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 2:27 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
ofahn wrote:

I've never seen him at the pro level once.

I had directed that to Shorebirdfan. Maybe "Scotty" should beam you "down the shore" more often.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Minor Leagues