Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles may take serious run at Victor Martinez

Orioles may take serious run at Victor Martinez

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » September 24th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Buster Olney wrote:FYI: It looks like the Orioles could take a serious run at Victor Martinez in free agency, in a combo 1B-C-DH/leader type of role.

I don't think Martinez is the bat we need. We need a Prince Fielder or Adam Dunn that can provide some real protection for or younger players. I don't think Martinez is that guy.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Victor Martinez in Baltimore?

PostPost #2 by 2131andBeyond » September 24th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Buster Olney tweeted today:

FYI: It looks like the Orioles could take a serious run at Victor Martinez in free agency, in a combo 1B-C-DH/leader type of role.

What do you guys make of this? Would you like this kind of acquisition for the Orioles? We know VMart wants to catch, so how would it affect Wieters, and how would Buck handle it all?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Orioles may take serious run at Victor Martinez

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 24th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Merged duplicate topics, you two posted at the same time.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by DougDE » September 24th, 2010, 3:20 pm

I know he wants to catch but if they got him to be okay with playing a lot more first base, and assuming his 1B defense is adequate (I really dont know how his 1B defense is), I would like if they signed him. I think I would prefer Adam Dunn but beggars cant be choosers. Whoever wants to come more
DougDE
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Don » September 24th, 2010, 3:37 pm

You have to look at the other side of the coin. I allows Matt Wieters to play first, third and pressure off his knees. It would be nice to see a solid rotation of those two behind the plate, but I highly doubt it happens unless no other team will give him full time duty behind the plate. I would not knock the right to have a 40 HR power bat at first.

Look, played the game at extreamly high level. I would rather have a .300 hitter with .400 OBP and .700 OPS over any masher. I will take the Josh Hamilton's of the world over Prince Fielder/Adam Dunn types. It is just me, but good hitter beat masher any day of the week.

The best pure lineup in baseball is either the Rays or Twins (I will never say Yankees because a Merc lineup never should count). Take Carlos Pena out and it still a good lineup with a solid group of above average hitters. The Twins are the best example that you can win with good hitters and guys that hit 30 HR's. The Blue Jays are pure mashers and they are sitting at home come October 3rd as well.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » September 24th, 2010, 11:29 pm

I think this is a bad idea. Seems that too often this organization goes after someone past their prime to be the big stabalizing force for these younger players. How's that working out so far?

Turn the whole thing over to the kids and lets see what happens. Can it be any worse than what we witnessed the first 100 games this season?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #7 by DougDE » September 25th, 2010, 4:36 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think this is a bad idea. Seems that too often this organization goes after someone past their prime to be the big stabalizing force for these younger players. How's that working out so far?

Turn the whole thing over to the kids and lets see what happens. Can it be any worse than what we witnessed the first 100 games this season?

The first 100 games of this season dont mean a thing now. Buck is here and it's time to start expecting to win. We've got plenty of young talent and nobody's suggesting doing away with it, but some free agent, veteran help is needed
DougDE
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 25th, 2010, 3:30 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think this is a bad idea. Seems that too often this organization goes after someone past their prime to be the big stabalizing force for these younger players. How's that working out so far?

Agreed. I do think we need a veteran but I don't think Martinez is that guy. I would try to buy low on Justin Smoak on the Mariners and plug him in at first base. Pass on Martinez.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by Esskay » September 27th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Depending on the price, I'd seriously consider trading for Mike Napoli over signing Victor Martinez. He's still team-controlled, so there's no long term risk, he can back up Wieters behind the place (and he kills lefties, who Wieters has had a lot of trouble with), he can play 1B at least as well as Ty Wigginton.
Esskay
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 27th, 2010, 6:51 pm

I'd rather us go after an Adam Dunn or Paul Konerko or Carlos Pena. We need power from first base. Martinez has very average power numbers for a first baseman.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by 2131andBeyond » October 4th, 2010, 12:10 pm

In this article posted yesterday on ESPNBoston.com by main writer Gordon Edes, he talks about and even quotes Victor Martinez about his availability this off-season. In the piece, Victor says he is going to have some fun testing FA, and more importantly, that he would be willing to play 1B for a team if it means being on a competitive roster.

What do you think? Does this make you more inclined to welcome the idea of signing VMart to a deal as the starting 1B and backup C?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by LukeScottsShotgun » October 4th, 2010, 12:16 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:In this article posted yesterday on ESPNBoston.com by main writer Gordon Edes, he talks about and even quotes Victor Martinez about his availability this off-season. In the piece, Victor says he is going to have some fun testing FA, and more importantly, that he would be willing to play 1B for a team if it means being on a competitive roster.

What do you think? Does this make you more inclined to welcome the idea of signing VMart to a deal as the starting 1B and backup C?

I'd take him at first as a consolation prize if we can't get Dunn or Konerko. But backup catcher? No. Victor is average behind the plate, and Jake Fox is better than him defensively IMO.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Esskay » October 4th, 2010, 4:05 pm

So, we'll give up our second-round pick to sign an overrated 1B with above-average power for a catcher to a 4 year deal for a lot of $$? And we only get to make that awesome signing if we have a "competitive roster"? This deal is getting worse all the time...
Esskay
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by LukeScottsShotgun » October 5th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Esskay wrote:So, we'll give up our second-round pick to sign an overrated 1B with above-average power for a catcher to a 4 year deal for a lot of $$? And we only get to make that awesome signing if we have a "competitive roster"? This deal is getting worse all the time...

This is why I would prefer to trade for someone.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles