Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Even though they are 6th in runs scored this offense is awful.

Even though they are 6th in runs scored this offense is awful.

PostPost #1 by Matt P » June 2nd, 2012, 1:18 am

Yet another instance of Orioles Baseball tonight at the Trop. Bases loaded, 1 out, your 2nd best hitter is at the plate and your best hitter is behind him ... and no runs score. How do you even fathom attempting to tag up and get to 2nd base with 2 outs and the best player on the team coming to the plate? I don't know how I didn't turn the game off after that but somehow I kept it on. I mean, I know the O's and I usually don't except them to score more than 1 run in that situation since most players on the team have never heard of the term "productive out" but that was just bad baseball. In the 9th I had no hope that they would manage to score a run.

It seems like if they don't hit a HR they don't score runs. I know they are going to go through winning streaks and losing streaks and I'm not as worried about losing 6 in a row as some are because I didn't except them to even win 70 games this year and they still are in 2nd place. The problem is even when they were winning they would fail in situations like this but they would make up for it with a HR the next inning, followed by another HR or two in the innings after that. Now that they aren't hitting the ball out as much the offense is just bad.

They are 10th in the AL on base percentage and they lead the league in runners left on base. They are hitting .203 with RISP and 2 outs which is good for 13th out of 14 AL teams.

Hardy and Jones are the only two hitters on the team that I have any confidence in at this point. Wieters had two hits tonight, hopefully he can get hot like he was earlier in the season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Even though they are 6th in runs scored this offense is awful.

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » June 2nd, 2012, 10:17 am

The problem as I see it is a lack of "professional hitters" - guys who can run counts and collect a timely hit. Too many free-swingers in this lineup that lead to strikeouts in key situations. Get rid of some of the free swingers, add a couple of professional type hitters and you will see a remarkable improvement IMHO 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by dan72 » June 3rd, 2012, 8:24 am

Birdwatcher55 hit it perfect. To many strikeouts, to many double plays. Davis, Andino, Reynolds and Betimit all free swingers.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » June 16th, 2012, 7:58 am

Unfortunately we reverted back to form last night: 4 GIDPs. Do any of our hitters understand what go with the pitch means??????????????? :x
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by osforlife » June 16th, 2012, 10:30 am

Here are some hitting stats for the Orioles compared to the rest of the American League:
6th in runs
6th in hits
6th in doubles
2nd in homeruns
12th in OBP
1st in strikeouts
14th in stolen bases
9th in average
9th in OBP
4th in SLG
4th in OPS
1st in GDP
So, to recap, we have a slow, power-filled lineup that’s aggressive. We don’t get on base enough for our big boys to hit in. We need to put the ball in play more and we could use a little more speed through our lineup. We’ve stayed in contention this long because our bullpen is amazing and we hit a lot of dingers.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Matt P » June 19th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Another pitiful display by the offense tonight as they are 1 inning away from getting shut out again.

Roberts hasn't been getting on base since his return, Hardy is hitting 2nd in the order with an OBP under .300, Andino's average has dropped all the way to .233, and Davis is in an 0-14 slump.

I hope Duquette is paying attention and realizes how much they need help.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by osforlife » June 19th, 2012, 9:45 pm

I would change up the lineup a bit once a few more pieces fall into place.. Roberts 2B, Markakis NF, Jones CF, Davis DH, Reynolds 1B, Wieters C, Hardy SS, Betemit 3B, Pearce/Flaherty/Andino/Chavez/Tolleson LF.
I doubt Reynolds could sustain success to be a quality #5 hitter. But for the time being, his OBP for May and June is .458 and .393, respectively. So he's been really productive since coming off the DL. Not sure why Hardy was in the #2 spot all year. He had a career year last year and his OBP was .310. He is still valuable with his homers and defense, but I like his free swinging attitude near the bottom. We caught some lightning in a bottle with Pearce but he seems to be cooling down. Flaherty has been hitting some lazers right at people. For example, the last out tonight was a hard hit. He started a game in Tampa Bay and hit two line drives that were caught. Tolleson is a little like Pearce, good AAAA talent. Chavez seemed to be heating up before his DL trip.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #8 by A_K » June 20th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Matt P,

You seem to (rightly) recognize that the Orioles are a team that has a pretty bad offense and only two effective starting pitchers.

Yet you also seem determined to see the team make some moves to acquire veterans via trade in order to help them compete for a playoff spot.

Do you not see these two positions as relatively contradictory?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #9 by Matt P » June 20th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Even with the problems they still have a good record. If they don't add to the team they have no chance at hanging around all season. If they add a pitcher or two with a good hitter maybe the power will return and they can start winning 3-2, 4-3, etc.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by dan72 » June 20th, 2012, 9:10 pm

No doubt this team needs to revamp their line up and their starting pitching... To a limited degree, we can do this through trades, but the biggest gains will be through free agency.
****the big problem is that we don't have any every day players on the way from the farm system. All the guys that are projected as everyday players are still on the outside looking in. I think this off season will be similar to the last few where we are looking to add inexpensive guys to bridge the gap until the Machado, Avery, Schoop, Delmonico type guys are ready. Those aquisitions are tough for fans to get excited about but unfortunately that is where we stand.

To many guys that don't have plate discipline, the strikeouts and double plays are adding up. Nothing kills momentum like grounding into a DP. No real #4 hitter on the team.
The team record is great when we score 4 or more runs.......
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #11 by Matt P » June 20th, 2012, 9:57 pm

JJ Hardy now has an OBP of .284 and leads the league in double plays.

WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING BATTING 2ND IN THE ORDER?

This team is so frustrating.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by A_K » June 22nd, 2012, 1:24 pm

Matt P wrote:JJ Hardy now has an OBP of .284 and leads the league in double plays.

WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING BATTING 2ND IN THE ORDER?

This team is so frustrating.

When you come to grips with the fact that it isn't good, won't compete, and isn't relevant, it's not very frustrating at all.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

Return to Baltimore Orioles