Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

well, it was fun while it lasted...

well, it was fun while it lasted...

PostPost #1 by docjj » May 29th, 2012, 6:37 am

I sense the beginning of the descent into our familiar spot in the basement.
Jones has cooled off. Wieters is hitting .230, Reynolds and his .180 average are back, Andino cooled off, and we still have tons of dead weight on the roster like Nick Johnson, Endy Chavez, etc. Hunter stinks. Matusz and Arrieta are hot and cold.

How would you go about fixing this?

First, dump Hunter as soon as Britton is ready. Second, find some way of dumping some of this dead weight. Third, remedial extra batting practice every day for Wieters until he starts hitting again. Maybe DH him some more so he can catch up on his rest a bit.

Sign Oswalt? I doubt he wants to go to Baltimore, but he might be better than anyone we currently have.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: well, it was fun while it lasted...

PostPost #2 by CSPitt17130 » May 29th, 2012, 7:38 am

Why do you feel the need to look at things that happen over short periods of time and then make grand conclusions instead of just taking them for what they're actually worth. Wieters is in a slump and to you it means he's an awful hitter and a huge bust. The team loses 6 of 8 after a great start and it means that they're going to play like that for the rest of the year. Relax. Stop overreacting. If you want to discuss how everyone would want to improve the team, just phrase it like that instead of drawing another pessimistic conclusion over some 8 game stretch.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by docjj » May 29th, 2012, 9:01 am

Because the reality is this team has major holes. We were lucky to face some teams when they were down on their luck or missing key guys like Longoria, for example. The reality is we have another difficult stretch of schedule coming up and we have a ton of dead weight on this team dragging us down.

The starting pitching ranks 21st out of 30 teams. On base percentage is 19th out of 30 teams. Our team batting average is .249, good for 17th.

And frankly, it's just painful to watch guys like Mark Reynolds .207, Endy Chavez .133, John Flaherty .143 Nick Johnson .183 clog up a major league roster.

It is amazing to see our record is 29-20. I think that's mostly due to a solid bullpen and an improved Adam Jones. And, frankly, the Rotation is still a mess outside of Chen and Hammel.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by CSPitt17130 » May 29th, 2012, 9:20 am

I understand this isn't a complete team. I don't think the 29-20 record is indicative of the overall talent. Everyone (I'd hope) gets that. But no one else is starting threads in the most negative way possible.

RYAN Flaherty rarely plays but he's a good utility guy and has enough potential that he's worth keeping on the roster so he doesn't have to be returned to the Cubs. Nick Johnson has been better than anyone could have hoped since his 0 for twenty-something start. He's getting on base and hitting for power. Reynolds has become a little painful to watch at bat and in the field. With all the work he said he did trying to get in better shape and the infield practice at third, it just doesn't seem like he'll ever get close to even being just bad over there.

I don't think Arrieta has been as bad as you think since you included him in the messy part of the rotation. Other than ERA, most of the numbers point to Arrieta pitching better than Chen: more innings, more strikeouts, fewer walks, higher BABIP, better GB%, and an unlucky HR/FB rate. Matusz has also turned it around and has looked more like a respectable starter for a while than a black hole in the rotation.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by Matt P » May 29th, 2012, 11:37 am

I wouldn't call Matusz hot and cold. He's had one bad start since his first 3 as he has given up 3 earned runs or less in 6 of his last 7 starts.

The lack of situational hitting has really hurt the team. A guy gets a double to lead off an inning and doesn't score, they draw 3 walks and have a single all in the same inning and fail to score a run. They were getting bailed out early in the season by some great starting pitching and an incredible bullpen which allowed them to keep the game close and then someone would hit a HR. 10th in OBP needs to improve if this team has any chance at sticking around near the top of the standings. It's just so frustrating to see them have a bases loaded situation with nobody out and watch them score 1 run then over the next 4 innings two guys hit a solo HR.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » May 30th, 2012, 6:00 am

The RISP stat is killing us. When we don't hit home runs, we're in trouble. That's when the SP needs to pick us up. It has for the most part this season but not lately. That in a nutshell fans are the Orioles 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by dan72 » June 1st, 2012, 11:30 am

Andino ranks 7th in the AL in strikeouts, Davis is 9th..... Betimit and Reynolds strikeout a lot to....You can not have that many guys in your line up swinging and missing. It would be one thing if these guys were hitting home runs but they are not.
The Orioles need to put the ball in play more often. Having said that we have no trouble hitting into double plays. We play station to station baseball, we have no speed and we sit back and wait for home runs. I can't understand why Avery was sent back. He is the best baserunner in the organization. I know his OBP was around .300 but so is most of the team...
Betimit is a major liability in the field, not to mention we lead the AL in errors. to sum it all up we need to improve on defense, the infield corners, and we need consistant starting pitching. I think the Rays have the best pitching in the AL and I do see them winning the east. I would be happy to see this years Orioles team finish a few games above .500
That would take wins away from the Redsox and the Yankees, which also makes me happy.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by osforlife » June 1st, 2012, 2:18 pm

In order for this team to play better...Wieters, Betemit, and Reynolds have got to step it up at the plate. It's time for Arrieta to start pitching to his potential. Like Buck says, he's not a young pitcher anymore. Chavez, Johnson, and Flaherty need to become somewhat productive when they're playing; we'll see what Flaherty has with Markakis injured. A healthy Reimold, Britton, and Lindstrom would be nice too.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » June 1st, 2012, 3:17 pm

We simply need better starting pitching and then I can live with the other deficiencies. Would love to add Garza to the rotation if the cost is not outrageous 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by A_K » June 3rd, 2012, 2:54 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:We simply need better starting pitching and then I can live with the other deficiencies. Would love to add Garza to the rotation if the cost is not outrageous 8-)

The cost would be outrageous.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #11 by mikezpen » June 7th, 2012, 4:15 pm

If their pitching, particularly the starters, hold up, they'll be fine. The strikeouts and flubbing w/MOB are exasperating, but the hitting will be good enough. Get Roberts, Britton and Reimold back and things w/look a whole lot better.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles