Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What hitters will be available at the deadline?

What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » May 28th, 2012, 11:52 pm

Assuming the O's are still in the hunt what hitters would be available that the O's would realistically be able to obtain (meaning wouldn't require Machado or Bundy)? The team is 10th in the AL in terms of OBP and need help. They really need someone to hit behind Jones as Wieters just isn't getting it done and Chris Davis strikes out to much to bat 5th. It seems like night after night they have opportunity after opportunity and just can't get that one single or double that they desperately need. Instead there will be a weak grounder to 2nd, a pop out, or a strike out. Then, an inning or two later with nobody on base, someone will hit a HR. It's so frustrating and I hope DD realizes they need another hitter.

Would a guy like Chase Headley be available? I read an article on Fanspeak about how the O's should trade for him and I must say it made perfect sense. The Padres are not going to compete this year and likely not any time in the next few years. He's hitting .259/.369/.448 this season. He has a .810 OPS away compared to a .717 OPS at home. I understand his defense is pretty good at 3B. He is under contract for 2 or 3 more years as well. He seems like a perfect guy for DD to go after as he may be able to fill the void at 3B for this season and beyond. I have no idea what the Padres would want but if they can make a trade for him without having to give up Machado or Bundy I think he would be a great fit with the Orioles.

Anyone else out there that may be available?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 29th, 2012, 12:26 am

I would be very very happy with a trade for Chase Headley. He plays solid D at third and has a patient approach at the plate. As you mentioned moving him from Petco to Camden might cause a jump in his numbers as well. I would LOVE it. Makes perfect sense.

However I would not want to give up ANY prospects of value for him. I would hope that Headley's mediocre numbers might keep his value down and maybe the O's could get him on the cheap. I do not want to part with ANY prospects that might be able to help down the road (ie Schoop, Avery, Bridwell etc.). I would be fine with giving up a couple midlevel prospects for him though. It's so easy to dissect this from our couches and it seems like it's such an obvious move but I'm sure it's more complicated than that... I would absolutely love that move though

Another option could be Ryan Roberts although he's struggled this season thus far... Some corner IF help would be great but a pitcher like Oswalt would be a very important move as well. Of course only if there is absolutely NO mortgaging of the future...
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 427
Joined: August 2011
Reputation Score: 25

Re: What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #3 by Matt P » May 29th, 2012, 1:16 am

I would imagine we would have to trade at least one of a Schoop/Bridwell/etc. to land Headley and I would be fine with it. Not all prospects pan out and Headley has done well in the majors. I wouldn't want to trade any guys like that for a half season rental to try and make a push this season but for a guy with a few years left on his contract is fine in my opinion.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #4 by CSPitt17130 » May 29th, 2012, 9:26 am

Matt P wrote:I would imagine we would have to trade at least one of a Schoop/Bridwell/etc. to land Headley and I would be fine with it. Not all prospects pan out and Headley has done well in the majors. I wouldn't want to trade any guys like that for a half season rental to try and make a push this season but for a guy with a few years left on his contract is fine in my opinion.


Ignoring current records, do you think this team is a playoff contender by adding Headley? I don't. And I agree with OriolesRedskins28 that they're not in any position to sacrifice the future in order to put a better team on the field now just because they've won more games than they've lost two months into the season.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 181
Joined: December 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #5 by Matt P » May 29th, 2012, 11:42 am

CSPitt17130 wrote:
Matt P wrote:I would imagine we would have to trade at least one of a Schoop/Bridwell/etc. to land Headley and I would be fine with it. Not all prospects pan out and Headley has done well in the majors. I wouldn't want to trade any guys like that for a half season rental to try and make a push this season but for a guy with a few years left on his contract is fine in my opinion.


Ignoring current records, do you think this team is a playoff contender by adding Headley? I don't. And I agree with OriolesRedskins28 that they're not in any position to sacrifice the future in order to put a better team on the field now just because they've won more games than they've lost two months into the season.

No, but he wouldn't only be here for this season. He isn't a free agent until 2015 though and he would be our 3B until at least then if no extension is signed. Guys like Schoop, Bridwell, Avery, etc. may make an impact in the big leagues and be average starters at their positions or they may turn out like Josh Bell while Headley is already at least average at his position and would likely be above average getting out of Petco. For his career he has a .810 OPS away from Petco. It's not like we have a Middlebrooks or Lawrie in the minors just waiting to come up and play 3B for the next 7 years.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #6 by A_K » May 29th, 2012, 1:53 pm

I like Headley and think he's a good strong target for a team looking to upgrade at 3B, whether that's the O's or anyone else. He's patient at the plate and has had his power numbers sapped by Petco while playing clean and efficient defense at the corner. He's a good player who I think the Padres should look to move this season; a trade would be good for the player, the Padres and whoever picks him up.

But with two arbitration years left, he'd be a pretty expensive player to bring in, I'm guessing. If you're looking at it as more than a short term move-- which I imagine everyone advocating for the trade would be doing-- then you need to consider how much closer the O's are to contending over the next 5-6 years with Headley as their everyday 3B. If you think he's good enough to pencil in for 5-6 years on a contending team in the AL East, the trade makes sense. If not, it doesn't. I think reasonable people can come to different conclusions on that choice.
Last edited by A_K on May 29th, 2012, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #7 by ofahn » May 29th, 2012, 2:00 pm

A_K wrote:I like Headley and think he's a good strong target for a team looking to upgrade at 3B, whether that's the O's or anyone else. He's patient at the plate and has had his power numbers sapped by Petco while playing clean and efficient defense at the corner. Good player who I think the Padres should look to move this season. A trade would be good for the players, the Padres, and whoever picks him up.

But with two arbitration years left, he'd be a pretty expensive player to bring in, I'm guessing. If you're looking at it as more than a short term move-- which I imagine everyone advocating for the trade would be doing-- then you need to consider how much closer the O's are to contending over the next 5-6 years with Headley as their everyday 3B. If you think he's good enough to pencil in for 5-6 years on a contending team in the AL East, the trade makes sense. If not, it doesn't. I think reasonable people can come to different conclusions on that choice.


I think the key to a trade like Headley is the cost. If we could get him for a one or two prospects that aren't on our top ten list then I would make the trade. He's not a long term solution BUT he would improve the defense, which would help our young pitchers, and is a productive bat.

I can respect your desire to confine our acquisitions to players "good enough to pencil in for 5-6 years on a contending team in the AL East" but you need to trade an Adam Jones to get those guys and we don't have any spare Adam Jones to trade. You can still build a winning team with baby steps.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #8 by A_K » May 29th, 2012, 2:07 pm

ofahn wrote:I can respect your desire to confine our acquisitions to players "good enough to pencil in for 5-6 years on a contending team in the AL East" but you need to trade an Adam Jones to get those guys and we don't have any spare Adam Jones to trade. You can still build a winning team with baby steps.


Good point, and you're right. The Rays are a good example of what a team can do by being willing to entertain incremental upgrades at every position and not force itself into the trap of looking for superstars at every position. And with Headley's two years of remaining arbitration, he could certainly be traded again later if another solution presents itself one way or another.

If there's a way to trade for him without giving up Schoop (obviously Machado and Bundy are off the table), then I'd be willing to consider it a prudent move. The ultimate determination, however, would depend on the context provided by the other moves they make. I like to see teams building their roster with a clear direction. If you trade, say, Bridwell and Hoes for Headley, and then turn around and move Hardy for prospects (totally hypothetical), that's when I check out.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #9 by ofahn » May 29th, 2012, 2:19 pm

A_K wrote:If there's a way to trade for him without giving up Schoop (obviously Machado and Bundy are off the table), then I'd be willing to consider it a prudent move. The ultimate determination, however, would depend on the context provided by the other moves they make. I like to see teams building their roster with a clear direction. If you trade, say, Bridwell and Hoes for Headley, and then turn around and move Hardy for prospects (totally hypothetical), that's when I check out.


Headley is a good player but IMO he's not worth (to US at this point) any of the prospects on our top 10 list. Perhaps Tillman and someone else?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #10 by osforlife » May 29th, 2012, 2:34 pm

I read that article too. I would be very happy to see Headley coming to Baltimore with Reynolds out of the way.
http://fanspeak.com/orioles/2012/05/18/ ... d-explore/ Here's the article. The author says we would have to part with something along the lines of Avery, Townsend, and T.Berry.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 58

Re: What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #11 by Matt P » May 29th, 2012, 6:28 pm

.810 OPS away from Petco and good defense at 3B is not worth a top 10 prospect?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #12 by Tucker Blair » May 29th, 2012, 6:32 pm

osforlife wrote:I read that article too. I would be very happy to see Headley coming to Baltimore with Reynolds out of the way.
http://fanspeak.com/orioles/2012/05/18/ ... d-explore/ Here's the article. The author says we would have to part with something along the lines of Avery, Townsend, and T.Berry.


I'd give that up in a Heartbeat to be honest. Avery is expendable to me now because they locked up Jones.
Townsend and Berry are borderline prospects at this point until they really prove more.


I think Headley is a great option. I imagine he would hit a few more HR away from that spacious park
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1574
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 43

Re: What hitters will be available at the deadline?

PostPost #13 by ofahn » May 29th, 2012, 6:37 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I'd give that up in a Heartbeat to be honest. Avery is expendable to me now because they locked up Jones.
Townsend and Berry are borderline prospects at this point until they really prove more.


I think Headley is a great option. I imagine he would hit a few more HR away from that spacious park


I'd rather give up Hoes than Avery.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests