Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why does Arrieta seem to get a pass?

Re: Why does Arrieta seem to get a pass?

PostPost #46 by osforlife » May 23rd, 2012, 3:56 pm

CSPitt17130 wrote:
osforlife wrote:I know striking out 5 batters and inning isn't good. You just said Hunter didn't strike out 5 batters every 9 innings in 2010 so I mentioned that he is striking out 5 batters every 9 innings this year. I was taking into the fact that Hunter was pitching better than Matusz. Even if Matusz has more upside, I was saying to keep Hunter because we are a first place team.

You mentioned 2010 for Hunter like it was an indication of his upside like 2010 was for Matusz. I was pointing out that although he racked up meaningless wins and had a good (and arguably lucky) ERA, he displayed no upside due to the fact that he was only striking out fewer than 5 batters per 9 innings. Yes, he's striking out 5.07 per 9 this year, but what does that have to do with 2010?

Again, I don't think (even before each of their last starts) that there was a significant difference in how well Matusz and Hunter were pitching (though it definitely looks like Matusz has safely surpassed Hunter). Even giving Hunter the slightest of edges, sending down Matusz would be short-sighted. Yes, the Orioles are in first place now (do you think they're going to be in first place in August?), but sending down Matusz when he's shown that he is able to work on getting better at the big league level is only looking at the short-term picture. Teams who are definite contenders should only make decisions like that. The Orioles need to continue to develop their upside players to see what they have in guys like Matusz, Arrieta, and Britton to decide how many pieces away from contention they really are. Pitching Hunter instead of Matusz just delays that process.

Look, Matusz has more upside than Hunter, no one is questioning that. Hunter had a pretty good 2010, same as Matusz, (who had a better season...?), thats debateable. Most people would say Matusz, I probably would to, but Matusz's season was not significantly better than Hunter's season. Before each other's last starts, Hunter was pitching better than Matusz, period. Not significantly better, but still better. If I were management, and I had to send one starter down(what...a week ago?)I would have sent down Matusz. Not because Hunter has more upside, but because he was pitching better and we were a first place team and have a slim chance of staying there with no clear cut leader in the AL EAST. If we were in last place however, I would have sent down Hunter because even though he was pitching better, he wasn't doing it significantly enough to cancel out Matusz's higher upside.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #47 by Old Sneakers » May 29th, 2012, 4:25 pm

BUMP

He's pitching tonight. Any guesses in how he fairs tonight?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #48 by Matt P » May 29th, 2012, 7:44 pm

4.1ip 4er and responsible for the runners on 1st and 2nd ... another bad outing.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #49 by Matt P » May 29th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Final line tonight - 4.1ip 6h 7r 6er 3bb 5k
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #50 by osforlife » May 29th, 2012, 7:56 pm

This team looks like crap at the moment. I like Buck's mindset that these guys aren't young pitchers anymore. Arrieta can't be in the rotation anymore. My resolution would be to slot Eveland into Hunter's spot. Bring Britton up and demote Arrieta.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #51 by A_K » May 29th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Deck chairs and sinking ships.

Eveland, Hunter, Arrieta... whatever. Bad pitchers, one and all. This isn't a good baseball team, despite its overperformance over the first 50 games of the year. Seems to me Arrieta's the only one of the three who has any hope of being a relevant major league player. Might as well let him play.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #52 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 30th, 2012, 12:54 am

Let's not be too rash now, Arrieta has been bad indeed but demoting him would be a little much in my opinion. Mainly because there is no one to replace him with... Eveland is TERRIBLE. Period. I would much rather have Arrieta out there than Eveland or Hunter or anyone else in the organization. If Arrieta's struggles continue then you start to discuss a possible demotion.

When is he going to man up and start pitching well though? It seems to me that whenever a couple things go against him he wilts under the pressure. I would like to see some more maturity and mental toughness from him on the mound. I sure hope he steps his game up soon, the team could really use it.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #53 by Matt P » June 3rd, 2012, 2:37 pm

Yet another bad outing for Arrieta.

4.2ip 2h 4er 4bb 3k and his ERA now is at 5.53.

If it's not obvious that he needs to get sent down I don't know what is.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #54 by A_K » June 3rd, 2012, 2:50 pm

Arrieta stinks. All of his potential replacements stink. Given the two painfully obvious facts, it isn't clear to me that there's an easy solution.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #55 by Matt P » July 6th, 2012, 1:17 am

He has now failed to get out of the 4th inning in his last two starts and his ERA has risen to 6.13 for the season. His demotion was delayed because he got to face two of the three worst hitting teams in all of baseball and did well against them which was fools gold. There is absolutely no reason for him to get another start anytime soon in Baltimore as the team is still contention.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #56 by osforlife » July 6th, 2012, 7:51 am

Matt P wrote:He has now failed to get out of the 4th inning in his last two starts and his ERA has risen to 6.13 for the season. His demotion was delayed because he got to face two of the three worst hitting teams in all of baseball and did well against them which was fools gold. There is absolutely no reason for him to get another start anytime soon in Baltimore as the team is still contention.

I agree. I want to believe Arrieta's problem is being unlucky but I just can't stand to watch him pitch anymore. Demote him and bring up Steve Johnson once his 10 days are up. Well actually, I just read that Arrieta has been demoted. We are probably going to bring up a position player beacause Arrieta's spot in the rotation would not make another start before the All-Star break.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #57 by A_K » July 6th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Just want to point out that, once again, it's not as though there is a cadre of surefire studs standing behind Arrieta, waiting for their opportunity. He stinks, they stink, everyone stinks. People can take joy in his demotion, but you're just going to end up frustrated and annoyed by a different below-average starting pitcher. There's no true relief in sight.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #58 by CSPitt17130 » July 6th, 2012, 3:49 pm

A_K wrote:Just want to point out that, once again, it's not as though there is a cadre of surefire studs standing behind Arrieta, waiting for their opportunity. He stinks, they stink, everyone stinks. People can take joy in his demotion, but you're just going to end up frustrated and annoyed by a different below-average starting pitcher. There's no true relief in sight.

But people will always believe the grass is greener on the other side. No matter if that other side is Hunter or Eveland or Gonzalez or Moyer. At this point, I ultimately think an extended stay in Norfolk will benefit Matusz and Arrieta in the long run, but anyone who thinks that the immediate replacement will be much better in the long run is fooling himself.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #59 by Matt P » July 7th, 2012, 1:05 am

A_K wrote:Just want to point out that, once again, it's not as though there is a cadre of surefire studs standing behind Arrieta, waiting for their opportunity. He stinks, they stink, everyone stinks. People can take joy in his demotion, but you're just going to end up frustrated and annoyed by a different below-average starting pitcher. There's no true relief in sight.

I forgot that Britton isn't nearing his return, that Tillman is an entirely different pitcher, that Gonzalez has done very well in his opportunities thus far, and that Duquette has said multiple times he is looking to acquire starting pitching at the deadline. If you would rather Arrieta and his mental breakdowns, pitches over the middle of the plate, and random spots where he has no control so be it but I would rather a chance at getting a win. By the way, no one is taking joy in the fact that he has been horrible this year.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles