Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How much would you give Josh Hamilton if he hits FA this winter?

How much would you give Josh Hamilton if he hits FA this winter?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » May 8th, 2012, 11:12 pm

The man is either the best or the second best OF in baseball. He's one of the best hitters in the game today and he plays a decent defense. He could play LF allowing the O's to DH Reimold next season.

Would you give him a Pujols type deal? Hamilton wouldn't be switching leagues like Pujols and he is a few years younger than Pujols if memory serves. Would an 8/200ish million deal be enough to bring him to Baltimore?

Imagine having him in the lineup. Suddenly we would have a legit clean up hitter to go along with Jones, Wieters, Hardy, and the rest. LF defense would improve greatly as well.

I'm not saying Angelos would ever sign off on signing any huge contract in the 25 + million range but it's just something to talk about. How much do you think he will get if Texas doesn't lock him up?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: How much would you give Josh Hamilton if he hits FA this winter?

PostPost #2 by DougDE » May 9th, 2012, 4:28 am

Love to watch him play but he is probably one of the biggest injury risks to ever be a free agent. Big money free agent that is. A Pujols type deal is way out of the question in my opinion. I'd probably only want him at like half that. 5 for 125. He'll be couple years on the wrong side of 30 and couldnt stay healthy in his 20's
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by ofahn » May 9th, 2012, 7:24 am

I wouldn't take the risk.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » May 9th, 2012, 7:40 am

Conditional 10/$350m... first five guaranteed.. next five conditional each season you're clean 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by Ampontan » May 9th, 2012, 8:30 am

Nothing. He's also a big risk to fall off the wagon at any time. Is one of the coaches still holding his meal money so he isn't tempted to blow it on crack cocaine? They were when he first came to Texas. He also admitted recently he had a relapse and went to a bar.

It's one thing to take a risk on a guy like Pomeranz, who also had a drinking problem, but he comes cheap. Hamilton won't
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » May 9th, 2012, 11:32 am

He's DD's secret offseason plan 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by DougDE » May 9th, 2012, 2:28 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Conditional 10/$350m

Do you mean 250?
DougDE
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » May 9th, 2012, 8:54 pm

He is 30 right now, and I would believe that a 10 year deal for ANY 30 year old is a bad deal. (Except maybe Jamie Moyer)

I don't think given the risk you can go much more than 5 years so say $135 million. Obviously that won't get him. Someone will throw 8 and more than $200 million.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #9 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 9th, 2012, 10:27 pm

One hundred BILLION dollars!!!

Love him but he is too much of an injury/relapse risk.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » May 10th, 2012, 12:05 am

Wrong time to consider a long term deal especially for a player where injury is a concern. I like him so far, have no doubt. I just think it's better to have some money in the team account to sign a good bat when the time is right and keep loading up on pitching talent through the draft.

Sucks, I know. However the team will do a great deal better once it starts to lose pitching through free agency and starts becoming compensated for the loss.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #11 by DougDE » May 10th, 2012, 5:26 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Sucks, I know. However the team will do a great deal better once it starts to lose pitching through free agency and starts becoming compensated for the loss

Isnt the compensation a lot less now?
DougDE
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by DougDE » May 10th, 2012, 5:30 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:He is 30 right now, and I would believe that a 10 year deal for ANY 30 year old is a bad deal. (Except maybe Jamie Moyer)

I don't think given the risk you can go much more than 5 years so say $135 million. Obviously that won't get him. Someone will throw 8 and more than $200 million.

Agree with what you're saying, just noting that he's 31 on the May 21 so he'd be 32 that quickly after signing the deal
DougDE
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by dan72 » May 10th, 2012, 10:57 am

3 years 66 million and a case of beer his choice....
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Old Sneakers » May 11th, 2012, 11:10 pm

DougDE wrote:
Old Sneakers wrote:Sucks, I know. However the team will do a great deal better once it starts to lose pitching through free agency and starts becoming compensated for the loss

Isnt the compensation a lot less now?

I looked into this, and you appear to be completely correct.

After the 2012 draft, free agents will no longer be classified by "type". Instead, a team will only be able to receive compensation if it makes its former player an offer at least equal to the average of the 125 richest contracts.However, if a player is traded during the final season of his contract, his new team will be ineligible to receive any compensation.

Source Wikipedia

Looks like we will see more trades in a players last 2 years with his original team. Also 125 richest contracts doesn't sound all that fantastic. Only way a team can make out here is if salaries continue to skyrocket. I don't see that being the case, some gradual increasing sure. But Baseball isn't near so popular as it once was.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Return to Baltimore Orioles