Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matusz better go deep tomorrow

Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #1 by osforlife » May 6th, 2012, 8:34 pm

You have to think we call somebody up for tomorrow's game. No day off, and facing one of the best offenses in baseball. Matusz better bring his A-game tomorrow. Any thoughts on our pending roster move? Eveland comes up for Exposito? Berken for Johnson? Gimme your thoughts.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #2 by Ampontan » May 6th, 2012, 10:00 pm

There are rumors elsewhere that it will be Pomeranz. Someone outside the Durham stadium said he saw players congratulating one of the Tides as they were getting on the bus, he thought it was SP, and noted that it was a tall player who hadn't pitched in the doubleheader. Pomeranz is 6'7". Berken went two innings on Sunday, so he's out. Eveland would require being sent through waivers again when he gets sent down. Bergesen has not been impressive.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 180
Joined: February 2012
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #3 by Ampontan » May 6th, 2012, 11:23 pm

UPDATE: Kubatko thinks it will be Pomeranz too.

Speculation. Everyone thinks they'll send down Exposito, but Wieters caught 17 innings yesterday.

I wonder if they bump Nick Johnson, and when the time comes, if he doesn't stay with the org, they'll bring up Hall instead.
Last edited by Ampontan on May 7th, 2012, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 180
Joined: February 2012
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #4 by Matt P » May 6th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Wada to the 60 day to create room on the 40 man but the 25 man move is going to be an interesting decision.

Exposito would be the logical choice if Wieters didn't just catch 17 innings and we don't have a day off until the 24th.

Nick Johnson, Endy Chavez, and Ryan Flaherty all are struggling at the plate. Nick has at least started to hit a little bit, Flaherty has hit some balls hard but right at people, Endy looks horrible. Defensively I don't think it makes sense to send down Chavez since Reimold is already on the DL. I would say it's between Nick Johnson and Ryan Flaherty. Nick Johnson doesn't really bring anything to the team considering he can only play 1B or DH while Flaherty can play multiple positions. Also, it seems like they really like Flaherty and want to keep him around so unless they work out a deal with the Cubs I think they will try to keep him on the 25 man until he is the only choice (like if Roberts, Reimold, and Britton all come back and there is just no room).

Buck hinted about Paulino getting some more playing time in the upcoming games against all the left handed starters which is part of the reason they promoted Exposito. I'd assume it's between Exposito and Johnson and I would personally send down Johnson.

Nobody in the bullpen is pitching bad enough to warrant a demotion. Even Gregg has been good in his recent appearances.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » May 7th, 2012, 1:47 pm

I don't believe O'Day pitched Sunday. Add Pomeranz and maybe Stroop to close. I think we'll be okay. Need at least 6 from Matusz however 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » May 7th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Matt P wrote:Wada to the 60 day to create room on the 40 man but the 25 man move is going to be an interesting decision.

Exposito would be the logical choice if Wieters didn't just catch 17 innings and we don't have a day off until the 24th.

Nick Johnson, Endy Chavez, and Ryan Flaherty all are struggling at the plate. Nick has at least started to hit a little bit, Flaherty has hit some balls hard but right at people, Endy looks horrible. Defensively I don't think it makes sense to send down Chavez since Reimold is already on the DL. I would say it's between Nick Johnson and Ryan Flaherty. Nick Johnson doesn't really bring anything to the team considering he can only play 1B or DH while Flaherty can play multiple positions. Also, it seems like they really like Flaherty and want to keep him around so unless they work out a deal with the Cubs I think they will try to keep him on the 25 man until he is the only choice (like if Roberts, Reimold, and Britton all come back and there is just no room).

Buck hinted about Paulino getting some more playing time in the upcoming games against all the left handed starters which is part of the reason they promoted Exposito. I'd assume it's between Exposito and Johnson and I would personally send down Johnson.

Nobody in the bullpen is pitching bad enough to warrant a demotion. Even Gregg has been good in his recent appearances.


I think Wieters probably DHs tonight. Rain tomorrow. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #7 by ofahn » May 7th, 2012, 2:06 pm

Matt P wrote:Nick Johnson, Endy Chavez, and Ryan Flaherty all are struggling at the plate. Nick has at least started to hit a little bit, Flaherty has hit some balls hard but right at people, Endy looks horrible. Defensively I don't think it makes sense to send down Chavez since Reimold is already on the DL. I would say it's between Nick Johnson and Ryan Flaherty. Nick Johnson doesn't really bring anything to the team considering he can only play 1B or DH while Flaherty can play multiple positions.


If they DFA anyone it should be Johnson but I wonder if Hunter doesn't go on the DL and we eventually see Joel Piniero come up to cover Hunter's starts.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #8 by osforlife » May 7th, 2012, 2:21 pm

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:Nick Johnson, Endy Chavez, and Ryan Flaherty all are struggling at the plate. Nick has at least started to hit a little bit, Flaherty has hit some balls hard but right at people, Endy looks horrible. Defensively I don't think it makes sense to send down Chavez since Reimold is already on the DL. I would say it's between Nick Johnson and Ryan Flaherty. Nick Johnson doesn't really bring anything to the team considering he can only play 1B or DH while Flaherty can play multiple positions.


If they DFA anyone it should be Johnson but I wonder if Hunter doesn't go on the DL and we eventually see Joel Piniero come up to cover Hunter's starts.

Hunter does look really bad on the mound. Everything is belt high or above. Keep Flaherty...his versatility is nice and we'd lose him to the cubs. I guess it should be Exposito. Johnson is starting to hit and Chavez needs to be kept because Reimold is out. Paulino can catch tonight and if we need to, I hear Flaherty is the emergency third catcher.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #9 by DougDE » May 7th, 2012, 4:26 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I don't believe O'Day pitched Sunday. Add Pomeranz and maybe Stroop to close. I think we'll be okay. Need at least 6 from Matusz however 8-)

He pitched. Got 2 outs and threw 22 pitches
DougDE
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 376
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #10 by Matt P » May 7th, 2012, 7:06 pm

I don't get keeping Exposito over Paulino. Paulino hasn't looked bad at the plate and seems to work good with Chen.

I don't get keeping Nick Johnson around either. With a 3 man bench you would think you wouldn't want to have a guy who can only play 1B or DH.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #11 by ofahn » May 7th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Did anyone else notice that Dana Eveland was pulled after just 63 pitches tonight even though he was throwing a four hit shutout?

Maybe it's a coincidence that he was pulled just after Matusz melted down AND that he is on schedule to pitch on Saturday, which is Matusz's next start.

The plot thickens.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #12 by Matt P » May 7th, 2012, 8:42 pm

ofahn wrote:Did anyone else notice that Dana Eveland was pulled after just 63 pitches tonight even though he was throwing a four hit shutout?

Maybe it's a coincidence that he was pulled just after Matusz melted down AND that he is on schedule to pitch on Saturday, which is Matusz's next start.

The plot thickens.


Interesting and it brings about many possibilities. They could send Matusz and Berken down, call up Eveland and Tillman, and start those two this weekend. They could keep Matusz around for another start and have Eveland pitch Friday night in Hunter's spot (which would explain being pulled after 63 pitches).

If any scenario involving Eveland turns out to be true another question is who gets taken off the 40 man.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #13 by ofahn » May 7th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Matt P wrote:If any scenario involving Eveland turns out to be true another question is who gets taken off the 40 man.


Brian Roberts could easily be put on the 60 day DL retroactively to Opening Day. He would eligible to come off of it in about three weeks but he won't be close to ready by then. After that, Brad Bergesen's spot is in jeopardy.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Berken get sent down tonight and Bill Hall brought up to provide a fourth bench player. It would probably come down to him or Nick Johnson to be DFA when they need the fifth starter on Saturday.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #14 by Matt P » May 7th, 2012, 9:27 pm

That's true, I forgot he wasn't already on the 60 day.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Matusz better go deep tomorrow

PostPost #15 by Ampontan » May 8th, 2012, 12:45 am

Matt P wrote:I don't get keeping Exposito over Paulino. Paulino hasn't looked bad at the plate and seems to work good with Chen.


After his 4-4 day, he hasn't hit that great, and there is word that Buck is not happy with him behind the plate, specifically, an inability to hold on to foul tips.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 180
Joined: February 2012
Reputation Score: 10



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ofahn, Seafordeagles and 11 guests