Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Thoughts on Tejada

Thoughts on Tejada

PostPost #1 by dan72 » May 5th, 2012, 7:31 pm

At a reported 37, what does Miggy have left in the tank? I would think that he is a defensive replacement for Reynolds. So does Chris Davis take over at DH or does Reynolds DH? What to do with Betimet who has hit better than expected? Or does Reynolds or Davis get dealt? Reynolds is a tough sell given his slow start and fairly large contract..... I do find it odd that when the Tejada story broke Reynolds started hitting..... crazy how that worked out.

I'm sure Miggy will come on the cheap so does any one see any down side in the deal?
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Thoughts on Tejada

PostPost #2 by osforlife » May 5th, 2012, 8:25 pm

He's just working out for the club. I dont think we'll see him this year. Could just be motivation for Reynolds to do better...
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by DougDE » May 5th, 2012, 8:35 pm

The down side is there is most likely nothing left in the tank and it'd be another black hole on the roster. We already have Johnson and Chavez, dont need another. Hard to believe he's even being considered
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Ampontan » May 6th, 2012, 5:15 am

It might be just professional courtesy. I won't worry about it until he's on the 25-man.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by thezeroes » May 6th, 2012, 7:02 am

Ampontan wrote:It might be just professional courtesy. I won't worry about it until he's on the 25-man.

Placement on the Forty would also be a move that is needed before I get any interest in his signing. He would seem to be nothing more than a contingency plan further down the road. If other deals are made from the 25/40 they may have an able bodied replacement in place in the minors, unlike other years.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » May 6th, 2012, 10:48 am

The downside is bringing back known cheaters whose history with the organization was not a positive one at least on the losing side. The teams with Tejada were awful on many different levels, and he as the organization's face at the time and its highest paid player were partly responsible for it. There are times you just have to move on, forgetting about him would be better.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by Matt P » May 6th, 2012, 11:57 pm

I don't have any interest. I'm sure he would be an upgrade defensively considering how awful Reynolds and Betemit have been. However, I'm not sure he brings enough to the plate to warrant him being on the 25 man roster. Betemit looks alright at the plate and Reynolds is better at getting on base and has much more power than Miggy. On top of that, Betemit can at least play a game or two in the OF, 2B, or 1B while Reynolds can play an alright 1B and in a pinch likely play the OF.

I mean if he hit like the Miggy of old in the minors and forced his way that is one thing but I would make him really force his way onto the team because I'm not sure he brings much to the table.

Plus, if Roberts actually comes back and is able to play 2B they can move Andino to 3B so they wouldn't be as desperate to upgrade 3B defensively.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » May 7th, 2012, 1:44 pm

DougDE wrote:The down side is there is most likely nothing left in the tank and it'd be another black hole on the roster. We already have Johnson and Chavez, dont need another. Hard to believe he's even being considered

Ditto ... seems like a more motivational move for Reynolds 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles