Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Should Jim Johnson Start The Season On The DL?

Should Jim Johnson Start The Season On The DL?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » April 2nd, 2012, 6:48 pm

From what I've seen, Jim Johnson is not 100% this spring. His velocity is down and his command is off. The results have been less than encouraging.

I hope the team places him on the DL to start the year. The last thing we need is a reprise of the Michael Gonzales fiasco in 2010 when he was clearly not ready to start the season and blew four saves in the first eight games. They he finally admitted that he was hurt.

I accept that we're not a playoff team, but I would rather win EVERY game we can this year and not give a bunch away because some pitcher won't admit he's not ready to be effective. Darren O'Day or Zach Phillips would be quite capable of filling his spot until he comes back, and Phillips has an option left so we wouldn't lose him if he is sent down.

Ayala and Lindstrom have both closed and Strop may be our closer of the future. IMO if they're healthy they should be closing. Not a guy that clearly isn't.

What do you think and WHY?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Should Jim Johnson Start The Season On The DL?

PostPost #2 by osforlife » April 2nd, 2012, 8:10 pm

If they're truly worried about it, they could have Lindstrom close a few games until Johnson gets some innings under his belt and proves he is healthy. Then, move Johnson back into the closer role.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by ofahn » April 2nd, 2012, 8:26 pm

osforlife wrote:If they're truly worried about it, they could have Lindstrom close a few games until Johnson gets some innings under his belt and proves he is healthy.

What concerns me is this (IMO) foolhardy attitude in today's game that one pitcher is anointed as "The Closer" and keeps that role until they prove they're not. Usually, by blowing about a half a dozen games.

Unless you have a Mariano Rivera or a Dennis Eckersley or a Bruce Sutter or a 1997 Randy Myers you should rotate the job between two or three pitchers that are hot and match up well with that opponent. As Buck has said - the "W" is more important than the "S".
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Ampontan » April 2nd, 2012, 10:40 pm

On the other hand, why do you think he needs to be DL'd?

They've been very cautious with all their pitchers this spring, including those who are expected to play a big role: Britton, Hunter, Wada, Lindstrom, and, at the start of spring training, Johnson himself.

If there were a physical problem preventing him from pitching, we probably would have found out about it now.

Further, his velocity is improving, and he himself insists it's not a big deal (and will probably be normal during the regular season). He's had problems that have forced him to the DL before, so he should know his own body.

And for those who are concerned, it's another reason not to release Gregg outright.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » April 3rd, 2012, 1:46 pm

Is Johnson hurt?? The last I saw his velocity was at 93. He may have a little "dead arm" but I'm not convinced he's hurt. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Matt P » April 3rd, 2012, 9:15 pm

I thought I read he was hitting 94/95 in his last outing?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » April 5th, 2012, 11:47 am

You might be right Matt and if that is the case then seems JJ is just fine...I think he eventually becomes our closer anyways 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by ofahn » April 8th, 2012, 2:52 pm

I'm happy to admit I was wrong about JJ.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles