Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #1 by ofahn » March 22nd, 2012, 10:23 am

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [March 22 at 9:39am CST]

The Orioles are shopping right-handed reliever Kevin Gregg and corner infielder Mark Reynolds, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com tweets. Both players are under contract for 2012 with club options for 2013.

Gregg, 33, posted a 4.37 ERA with 8.0 K/9 and 6.0 BB/9 in 59 2/3 innings of work last year, his first season in Baltimore. He'll earn $5.8MM in 2012 and his contract includes a $6MM club option for 2013. I'd be surprised if a team took on more than $2MM of his salary in a trade.

Reynolds, 28, hit 37 homers and posted a .221/.323/.483 line last year, while playing first and third base. He led the league in strikeouts for the fourth consecutive season, striking out in approximately one third of his 620 plate appearances. He'll earn $7.5MM in 2012 and his contract includes a $11MM club option for 2013 ($500K buyout).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/03/o ... nolds.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #2 by Zach » March 22nd, 2012, 3:07 pm

I don't think that we would get much of a return on Gregg. We aren't hurting for money this season so I am not sure why a move with him would make sense unless the management thinks that it would be a great addition by subtraction. He won't be in the closer role this year which could put less pressure on him. Might as well see what we have in him.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by thezeroes » March 22nd, 2012, 3:40 pm

As with all trades there needs to be a partner. By having a writer put it out that you are "Shopping" certain players could give you some unsolicited feed back as to what another club would offer.

Gregg is not a part of the near future with this ball club in my opinion. He does have a significant contract that may need to be absorbed by over half just to move him for a low level prospect. The alternative would be to DFA him and then have somebody pick him up for the MLB Minimum with out any return while paying all his contract. Either way he is not an option in many ways to remain on the 40 Man roster as there are better alternatives than keeping him.

Reynolds "Power" is not replaceable at this time with the current roster. His On Base ability could be replaced by Nick Johnson but Nick has problems staying healthy for an entire season. You would lose power and on base by moving him without having a replacement that could be counted on to perform over the entire season. If the return was MLB ready pitching in a 3 for 1 deal then by all means move him. For low level possibilities I would hold on to him until his price improves.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » March 22nd, 2012, 6:47 pm

thezeroes wrote:
Reynolds "Power" is not replaceable at this time with the current roster. His On Base ability could be replaced by Nick Johnson but Nick has problems staying healthy for an entire season. You would lose power and on base by moving him without having a replacement that could be counted on to perform over the entire season. If the return was MLB ready pitching in a 3 for 1 deal then by all means move him. For low level possibilities I would hold on to him until his price improves.

I strongly agree here. Reynolds is not at all replaceable to this ball club. Furthermore I do not know that the potential return the team could get would offset the loss of the player on field. Yes the team has lots of needs. But the on field product cannot be made to suffer further. If it's a question of prospects in return the team trading with the orioles would have to be in dire need indeed to make it worthwhile.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by Ampontan » March 22nd, 2012, 9:56 pm

thezeroes wrote:The alternative would be to DFA him and then have somebody pick him up...

That isn't going to happen.

thezeroes wrote:Reynolds "Power" is not replaceable at this time with the current roster

Which the front office and the on-field management staff understand, so I suspect it would be contingent on other roster manipulation.

Kubatko is denying this, BTW, but then he's almost forced to by the nature of his position.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by Matt P » March 23rd, 2012, 12:29 pm

Let's face it, this team isn't competing this season or next season. Neither of these guys are going to be on the next Orioles playoff team (if there ever is one) so there is no reason to hang onto them. You probably can't get much more for Reynolds than we gave up (if you can even get that) and you will probably have to eat more than half of Gregg's contract to even get a B level prospect. Trading both players would be better than keeping them around as trading them would open up roster spots for younger players that may or may not still be around when the Orioles are contenders.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » March 23rd, 2012, 6:14 pm

Rumors heating up Reynolds to Phils for Blanton 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by ofahn » March 23rd, 2012, 6:19 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Rumors heating up Reynolds to Phils for Blanton 8-)

That trade would make NO sense at all.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Ampontan » March 23rd, 2012, 9:44 pm

Matt P wrote:Let's face it, this team isn't competing this season or next season. Neither of these guys are going to be on the next Orioles playoff team (if there ever is one) so there is no reason to hang onto them.

I've never understood this logic. At all. The constant roster churning resulting from an assumption you're not going to be in the playoffs is one sure way to consistent 90-game losing seasons and never getting in the playoffs. (The Marlins are a rare exception.)

The Orioles still have to play a 162-game season and sell tickets, food, and merchandise to entertain the fans, most of whom don't obsess over trades. They're supposed to put a good product on the field now. That doesn't necessarily mean playoffs. Climbing back to respectability --- and, more important, staying there --- requires one step at a time, which means .500 first. Having a player hit 35-40 home runs is a good way to get there.

As for getting to .500, they could most definitely be there this year, absent serious injuries (such as hobbled the team last year with Scott and Roberts). The continued development of Matusz and Arrieta, along with good results from Chen and Wada, could certainly make things interesting next year.

As for trading Reynolds or Gregg or both, I'm fine with that, depending on the return. All major league teams have players like that they want to unload, that might fit in better elsewhere.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by osforlife » March 23rd, 2012, 10:10 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Rumors heating up Reynolds to Phils for Blanton 8-)
Blanton fits in with every other starter we have. A middle to back end starter. Reynolds most definitely contributes more to this team than Blanton would.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by DougDE » March 24th, 2012, 4:37 am

Zach wrote:I don't think that we would get much of a return on Gregg. We aren't hurting for money this season so I am not sure why a move with him would make sense unless the management thinks that it would be a great addition by subtraction

Heard a week or 2 ago he's unhappy about not being the closer so maybe he's even more disgruntled then being reported
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #12 by Don » March 24th, 2012, 8:02 am

No one, and I do mean no one, is trading for either Kevin Gregg and Mark Reynolds.

The price is a bit too much and the return is simply not that great in the grand scheme. Reynolds provides power, but his weaknesses are easily and repeatably exposed. I do not think he is a bad player, but at that price tag and what is being asked in return I simply walk away.

Gregg actually might have more value, but at this stage the same rules apply.

The Orioles would have to really lower the expectations and eat some of the salary. I do not see them doing either.

Gregg will be traded at the July deadline. The Orioles would have to eat a nice chunk of his remaining $1.7 million pro-rated number for 2012 and may have to pick up a portion of his vesting option in 2013. Only if they do it, could you see a C+ type return.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #13 by Ampontan » March 24th, 2012, 8:47 am

The way many relief pitchers are up and down from year to year, it might not be a disadvantage to keep him. He's had good years before, and in some categories, last year was one of his worst. Who knows, if AM could get Strop for Gonzalez, maybe DD can do as well if Gregg picks up it a bit.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » March 24th, 2012, 10:35 am

FWIW I would NOT trade Reynolds either for Blanton. We can ridicule this guy to death but reality is he hit 37 HRs for you last year in his FIRST year in the AL. My two cents: make him your full time DH and watch the fireworks. We can find someone else with a "glove" for third that we can easily carry. Goodness we have enough excess pitching to make this happen 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #15 by ofahn » March 24th, 2012, 12:12 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:My two cents: make him your full time DH and watch the fireworks.

Except that he has been VERY clear that he doesn't want to DH.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles