Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Opening Day Starter

Opening Day Starter

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » March 12th, 2012, 11:28 pm

Obviously in the long run it really doesn't matter who starts opening day.

However, it's always fun to try and guess who it will be.

Most Likely Candidates in my eyes (No Order):

Tommy Hunter
Jason Hammel
Jake Arrieta

Hunter and Hammel are the "veterans"
Arrieta has started a home opener before (last season I believe)

Would you consider anyone else?
There is an apparent dark-horse candidate too. Could it be Wei-Yin Chen?
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: Opening Day Starter

PostPost #2 by Matt P » March 13th, 2012, 12:56 am

Last season Buck set it up so that Arrieta would pitch the home opener. I would say Hunter and Arrieta should be the two favorites as Buck seems to love both of them.

Who knows though. Maybe he sticks Matusz or Tillman out there Opening Day to show them that the organization has complete confidence in them.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Opening Day Starter

PostPost #3 by Zach » March 13th, 2012, 10:50 am

I think Arrieta gets the nod again this year. He pitched fairly well last year and has been established as part of the future of this organization. Both of the veterans mentioned above aren't significantly better than Arrieta and I like the idea of really showcasing the future.
Zach
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 227
Joined: June 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: Opening Day Starter

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » March 13th, 2012, 9:23 pm

Zach wrote:I think Arrieta gets the nod again this year. He pitched fairly well last year and has been established as part of the future of this organization. Both of the veterans mentioned above aren't significantly better than Arrieta and I like the idea of really showcasing the future.


I agree. I see no reason why Jake shouldn't be given the opportunity.
If he is fully healthy, which it sure seems he is, he is the most talented pitcher of the bunch. As long as he can limit his BB and learn how to pitch more efficiently, I see no reason why he couldn't turn into a serviceable starter. That's asking a lot of a pitcher, but it's what needs to happen.
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: Opening Day Starter

PostPost #5 by Ampontan » March 14th, 2012, 8:59 am

Matt P wrote:Who knows though. Maybe he sticks Matusz or Tillman out there Opening Day to show them that the organization has complete confidence in them.


I think it's more likely that one of those two will be Norfolk's opening day starter.

I don't think the organization will show they have "complete confidence" in them, because I don't the organization has complete confidence in them. I think the organization's attitude is now, fish or cut bait.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 180
Joined: February 2012
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Opening Day Starter

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » March 14th, 2012, 10:04 am

Ampontan wrote:
Matt P wrote:Who knows though. Maybe he sticks Matusz or Tillman out there Opening Day to show them that the organization has complete confidence in them.


I think it's more likely that one of those two will be Norfolk's opening day starter.

I don't think the organization will show they have "complete confidence" in them, because I don't the organization has complete confidence in them. I think the organization's attitude is now, fish or cut bait.
as it should be. They have given players way too much of a safety blanket or comfort zone in the past. Its much better off for Someone to flat out earn their spot. Which is why I somewhat like how they have 10 SP fighting this spring
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Seafordeagles and 2 guests

cron