Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles close to deal with Nick Johnson

Orioles close to deal with Nick Johnson

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » February 8th, 2012, 6:50 pm

The Orioles are close to signing first basemen Nick Johnson to a minor league deal, according to Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports.

Johnson, 33, has a career batting line of .270/.401/.443 in nine seasons with the Yankees, Nationals, and Marlins. He last played in the majors in 2010, when he posted a .167/.388/.306 batting line in only 98 plate appearances for the Yankees.

Johnson has always been known as an on-base machine, as indicated by his career .401 OBP. However, he has always been an injury prone player. He has only played over 135 games in a season once (147 in 2006 with the Nationals).

I don't mind the move honestly. It's a minor league deal and he can get on base with the best of them. He is also made out of glass, but as a minor league deal it's fine.

I suspect he plays DH?
Does this mean no Manny? (I doubt it affects him if they are truly interested, but you never know)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Orioles close to deal with Nick Johnson

PostPost #2 by Matt P » February 8th, 2012, 7:12 pm

Maybe he can help mentor Mahoney in AAA.

Not a bad signing at all. If he hits well in the minors and stays healthy he wouldn't be the worst to platoon with Betemit in the DH spot. Also good back up for Davis if he gets injured.

I have no hope that he will stay healthy though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » February 8th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Matt P wrote:Maybe he can help mentor Mahoney in AAA.

Not a bad signing at all. If he hits well in the minors and stays healthy he wouldn't be the worst to platoon with Betemit in the DH spot. Also good back up for Davis if he gets injured.

I have no hope that he will stay healthy though.

I think that was the first thing that popped into my mind as well.
I would love that, since as of now Mahoney is not developing true HR power like expected (His ISO is high but not calculating into HR)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » February 9th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Just say YES to Manny!! LOL :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by Zach » February 9th, 2012, 5:09 pm

This is totally different from Manny as this was a minor league deal. Manny will be looking for a major league deal. I think the idea of bringing him in for Mahoney would be a great idea. Remember that Joe has been struggling on and off with injuries the past two season and this could have influenced the power numbers.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by osforlife » February 9th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Probably not going to start the year with the club, but I could defintily see him getting some at-bats. It's good to have a extrememly effective on-base guy as insurance to Davis and tutor to Mahoney. Good depth move.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by Why Not? » February 9th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Boy, he really sucked in AAA ball last year.
Why Not?
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles