Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who do we build around

Who do we build around

PostPost #1 by Zach » February 3rd, 2012, 9:33 am

I know this debate has occurred several times on this site, but David Schoenfield just wrote on the topic and I thought had some interesting analysis. http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... e-of-stars. I don't understand why he picked Tillman over Britton and don't quite agree with his analysis of Weiters (I think he will continue to grow), but he makes some valid points.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Who do we build around

PostPost #2 by ofahn » February 3rd, 2012, 10:12 am

Matt Wieters. No question and no doubt in my mind.

His development as a defensive catcher is almost irreplaceable. The young pitchers trust him and he has shown that he can impact a game without picking up a bat, and the bat is developing into a legitimate four or five hitter. In fact, I think that Buck should just put him there and tell him the spot is his no matter what he hits. We might be looking at a 25 - 30/100 season from him.

The sad and ironic aspect to Matt is that he might not be around when this team has a chance to really shine. With Scot Boras for an agent you have to assume that he will bolt for "stupid Pujols money" when he becomes eligible for free agency.

Britton might be the second building block but IMO he needs to show at least 100 innings of dominance now that the league has a read on him and will make their adjustments.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Who do we build around

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » February 3rd, 2012, 2:40 pm

Wieters, Hardy, Britton, Arrieta and (possibly) Matusz. I hesitate to toss AJ into this list because of the recent trade rumors. I would have to think you add one or two of those returns to the list if he is traded 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles